Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
'90 300SL ,'84 300DT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello once more. I've tried all the usual suspects that I am aware of including those above with no success. I also found carpartsinmotion in the UK and as they have many caps for MB they, too, only offer Bosch. I just sent an e-Mail off to BERU (UK) and hopefully they can help.

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
873 Posts
Hello once more. I've tried all the usual suspects that I am aware of including those above with no success. I also found carpartsinmotion in the UK and as they have many caps for MB they, too, only offer Bosch. I just sent an e-Mail off to BERU (UK) and hopefully they can help.
Does this help:

That is the French website for AutoDoc from whom I purchased a number of items.

Just found the UK site:

I bought a Beru cap as backup and, whilst it doesn't look bad, it is not up to the quality of the MB original I fitted a couple of years ago.

Good luck.

RayH

·
Registered
'90 300SL ,'84 300DT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hello Ray and thank you very much for your help. Autodoc does list the cap and as I was about to buy it I was kind of floored! The cap is very reasonable at ~ 37 pounds but the shipping was 90 pounds. I sent them a note in case I made a bad entry. Again, thank you very much. Ron

·
Registered
'90 300SL ,'84 300DT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update, Finally, at less than $60 and free shipping I found a Beru Cap (VK384) in the U.S. (eEuroparts.com). This is good. New question: This one is sold with a companion o-ring (which, of course, I bought). As my Bosch cap didn't come or suggest an o-ring, is that part of my problem? I assume that I should install it with the o-ring and with a smear of the grease. Does this approach make sense. Thanks once again. Ron

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
873 Posts
Update, Finally, at less than $60 and free shipping I found a Beru Cap (VK384) in the U.S. (eEuroparts.com). This is good. New question: This one is sold with a companion o-ring (which, of course, I bought). As my Bosch cap didn't come or suggest an o-ring, is that part of my problem? I assume that I should install it with the o-ring and with a smear of the grease. Does this approach make sense. Thanks once again. Ron
I've never installed an O ring under the cap. Only on the rear shield.

R

·
Registered
'90 300SL ,'84 300DT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The saga continues. I received the Beru cap and surely noticed the difference in finish/texture. As I went to install it I realized that it had the wrong mounting hole pattern and the wire connections were spaced differently although the internal contacts were "normal". This started by me contacting BERU in Germany and they indicated that I needed a VK384 and to contact Federal Mogul in the U.S. who basically said to try distribution. eEuropa will gladly take it back and they can't find anything other than Bosch. Can anyone who has bought a BERU cap for a 300SL (mine is early 1990 and does have a few different parts such as the removal of the Becker radio follows a different procedure that Bob Terry was able to help me with)? I was excited about resolving my problem but it seems like I'm back to square one! Can anyone who has successfully purchased a BERU for a 300SL check to see what part number they ordered/received? It would be much appreciated. Thanks again, Ron

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
873 Posts
The saga continues. I received the Beru cap and surely noticed the difference in finish/texture. As I went to install it I realized that it had the wrong mounting hole pattern and the wire connections were spaced differently although the internal contacts were "normal". This started by me contacting BERU in Germany and they indicated that I needed a VK384 and to contact Federal Mogul in the U.S. who basically said to try distribution. eEuropa will gladly take it back and they can't find anything other than Bosch. Can anyone who has bought a BERU cap for a 300SL (mine is early 1990 and does have a few different parts such as the removal of the Becker radio follows a different procedure that Bob Terry was able to help me with)? I was excited about resolving my problem but it seems like I'm back to square one! Can anyone who has successfully purchased a BERU for a 300SL check to see what part number they ordered/received? It would be much appreciated. Thanks again, Ron
That sounds tricky. I have a Beru cap as a spare but I've never tried to install. I'll try to find the part number but it's in the SW of France and I'm in Paris so it'll be difficult. I'll be there in a couple of weeks but that's not much help to you now.

Sorry.

RayH

·
Registered
'90 300SL ,'84 300DT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks RayH and I appreciate your effort. Surely, I have no problem waiting> I have sent new e-Mails to Federal Mogul and BERU and perhaps they will be more helpful this time. Paris and southern France are probably nicer this time of year than northern MA -southern NH USA. Ron

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
873 Posts
Thanks RayH and I appreciate your effort. Surely, I have no problem waiting> I have sent new e-Mails to Federal Mogul and BERU and perhaps they will be more helpful this time. Paris and southern France are probably nicer this time of year than northern MA -southern NH USA. Ron
I found a list of part numbers from which I've made many purchases. It lists:
Beru VK522S or Beru 0330920422. These are for the 24 valve 300 engines: M104.98x.

You bought the Beru VK384; wrong. That's for the 12 valve engine: M103.

Maybe that'll solve your problem.

RayH

·
Registered
'90 300SL ,'84 300DT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hello RayH, Somehow, I never saw your post with the VK522S part number, I bought the VK384 (bad move) as Federal Mogul in Germany gave me this number. It has been returned so that's fine. I am now shopping the VK522S in the USA and, hopefully, I will get lucky. Thank you very much and I'll update soon, I hope, with good news. Please enjoy the Holidays...… Ron

·
Registered
'90 300SL ,'84 300DT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hello RayH, Somehow, I never saw your post with the VK522S part number, I bought the VK384 (bad move) as Federal Mogul in Germany gave me this number. It has been returned so that's fine. I am now shopping the VK522S in the USA and, hopefully, I will get lucky. Thank you very much and I'll update soon, I hope, with good news. Please enjoy the Holidays...… Ron

·
Registered
'90 300SL ,'84 300DT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello once more folks FCO Euro suggests that this is the right part. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-distributor-cap-mer-1041580102 Based upon how this all started, the advice was to try a Beru vs. the Bosch that I have (with a couple of thousand miles on it). As I couldn't find a correct Beru part I shopped with RayH's provided part number and this is what I have received. Is this cap different than a Bosch or Beru? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-distributor-cap-mer-1041580102 Thanks to all. Ron
Genuine mercedes

SKU: MER-104158010280
Mercedes Distributor Cap - Genuine Mercedes 10415801

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
873 Posts
The number I've always used for my M104.980 engine distributor cap is: A1041580102.

So, things are looking good for you.

R

·
Registered
'90 300SL ,'84 300DT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hello RayH. Hopefully, this makes sense. Finally, after weeks Federal Mogul gurus on call (France) has gotten back to me. Gurus on Call - Francais <[email protected]> They suggest that the correct BERU# is:0330 920 422 which is a trade number that is linked with VK522S, which is compatible with your R129. As (if my poor memory is correct) my approach was to find a BERU cap vs a Bosch. I've found many places that have no inventory but Mister Auto from e-Bay UK has one for 120# with free shipping. I'm going to try this while it's available and my fingers are crossed. Hopefully, good news will follow. Ron

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
873 Posts
Hello RayH. Hopefully, this makes sense. Finally, after weeks Federal Mogul gurus on call (France) has gotten back to me. Gurus on Call - Francais <[email protected]> They suggest that the correct BERU# is:0330 920 422 which is a trade number that is linked with VK522S, which is compatible with your R129. As (if my poor memory is correct) my approach was to find a BERU cap vs a Bosch. I've found many places that have no inventory but Mister Auto from e-Bay UK has one for 120# with free shipping. I'm going to try this while it's available and my fingers are crossed. Hopefully, good news will follow. Ron
That seems to be the right part. I hope it works for you and I really can't see a reason why it shouldn't.

In the meantime, I've had my share of misery. The 300CE died far from home suffering from a failed ignition module. The SECOND in 4 months. Now I have NO SPARE! And the price from MB here in France is €2300!!!

You need to know this: The first module failed feeding a brand new Beru coil. The second failed feeding an older, previously installed MB original coil. Perhaps coils are not linked to these failures. I now have Bosch cap and rotor fitted by the garage that rescued the car. I can see no reason why they replaced them as my MB originals were only about 3 years old.

So, I am baffled as to why I'm suffering these failures. A new alternator regulator was installed today and I assume that the car will work. But who knows?

In closing, you may have viewed me as a knowledgeable chap with experience of success with the same engine as yours. That has been the case with my 300CE for 21 years. Now you must regard me a someone who's lost all confidence in the car's ability to get to England for some Christmas shopping and family visits.

I'll report more.

The best of luck to you!

RayH

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
917 Posts
... In the meantime, I've had my share of misery. The 300CE died far from home suffering from a failed ignition module. The SECOND in 4 months...
Did you use new silicone paste when you installed the second module?

Check the condition of your engine earth cable. If in doubt buy an aftermarket earth cable and fix it between the cylinder head and coil mounting bracket.

Also check the resistance between the spark plug tip and end of plug lead at distributor and compare against spec. IIRC it should be roughly between 1200 to 1800ohms. Higher impedance due to owners fitting incorrect resistance plug leads and/or resistance plugs can lead to higher kV at distributor, and higher load on coil and EZL module.

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
873 Posts
Did you use new silicone paste when you installed the second module?

Check the condition of your engine earth cable. If in doubt buy an aftermarket earth cable and fix it between the cylinder head and coil mounting bracket.

Also check the resistance between the spark plug tip and end of plug lead at distributor and compare against spec. IIRC it should be roughly between 1200 to 1800ohms. Higher impedance due to owners fitting incorrect resistance plug leads and/or resistance plugs can lead to higher kV at distributor, and higher load on coil and EZL module.
It's funny you should raise these points. And thanks.

Firstly, yes, I always put thermal paste under the module.

Secondly, I woke in the night thinking of the negative battery to earth cable. I'm convinced I measured resistance there. So, that will be replaced with a new one.

I always fit non-resistor plugs. And the leads are now brand new Beru, the same as I had for 10 years before I changed them months ago for brand new NGK. The NGKs marked the start of these failures although I cannot imagine why. The NGKs are out of the picture now.

So, today I shall be braving the cold to ensure no earth (ground) issues.

I'll report back.

RayH

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
873 Posts
It's funny you should raise these points. And thanks.

Firstly, yes, I always put thermal paste under the module.

Secondly, I woke in the night thinking of the negative battery to earth cable. I'm convinced I measured resistance there. So, that will be replaced with a new one.

I always fit non-resistor plugs. And the leads are now brand new Beru, the same as I had for 10 years before I changed them months ago for brand new NGK. The NGKs marked the start of these failures although I cannot imagine why. The NGKs are out of the picture now.

So, today I shall be braving the cold to ensure no earth (ground) issues.

I'll report back.

RayH
No ground Issues that I can find!!!

R

21 - 39 of 39 Posts