Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am going to be leaving the country for about 6 months, and I need to park the Benz somewhere.

Last time I parked it for a month, a damned rat crawled into my engine bay and decided that my wiring loom looked like a tasty treat. So my question is: What do i need to do to prep the vehicle for LongTerm storage. I would like to know peoples success on the following:

1) Fuel System stabilizer ( brand?)
2) Car cover. Its going to be parked in a parking structure, but I would like to keep stuff off of it.
3) Rodent repellent.
4) Effect of disconnecting battery for long duration.
5)??? Other advice?

I am sure you guys in the colder climates do this all the time. Any advice for a uneducated Californian?

Thanks,
-Ben

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Hi, Ben.

I'm not sure of your situation, but I have to tell you that parking a car for an extended period is just about the worst thing you can do to it. You'd have to disconnect the battery (unlikely you could run an extension for a tender, and there's really no point anyway), but seals and gaskets dry out, gas goes wonky (and gums up lots of things, including injectors), tires get flat spots, there's always the potential for corrosion in open-valve cylinders, and the list continues. Aside from the obvious rat issues. ;)

If you have any other alternative -- a trusted friend or relative who could drive it even just thirty miles every ten to twenty days -- then do it. That will allow it to get to operating temp (everything, not just the engine), burn off moisture from the crankcase and exhaust systems and lubricate all the seals, bearing grease will get nice and warm, tires too and it will burn off enough gas that a bit can be added each time.

I know that's a pain, but truthfully that is less painful than all the prep work you'll have to do and all the repair work you'll find afterwards.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

(And hey, if you can't find anyone else, I'm 40 minutes north of you and would drive down every two weeks and take care of it for you, might even bathe it occasionally.)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Rent a storage building.
Nothing can get it nothing can get out.
This is how some of my friend store their "chop top".
No top at all they just cut it off lol.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
If you don't take Greg up on his generous offer, the one thing I can recommend is to make sure that your fuel tank is fully filled. This will reduce condensation in the fuel tank.
I've had to store my cars at several times for up to 6 months. Basically, I just filled the tank, made sure the tires were overinflated (to reduce the risk of flatspots) and disconnected the battery. Of course, if you can put the car on stands, it will be even better for the tires. In all cases, the cars started with the first attempt and ran well for many miles/years afterwards.
O yes, I also did an oil change soon after putting the cars in use, probably not necessary, but I didn't like the idea of the oil standing for so long.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
gregs210 is right, it happend to my sl500 wen i didnt start it for 2 months all this problems came out, cost me alot for repairs, my advice is to leave it to someone and have them start it or drive it every 2 weeks, thats the best advice, forget storage areas cause i think mercs are made to be driven and running :)

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
How long do you plan on having the car in storage, it can make a difference.

Fuel stabilizer is a must for anything over a couple of months. Try Stabil: Gold Eagle - Stabil
The stock or original Mercedes car cover is a good unit, not very expensive and does the job you want done.
It appears that you have a rodent problem in your area. Poisons or traps seem to be a requirement; I have no experience with that.
Very high tire pressure is good for two or maybe three months, but beyond that, you're better to jack the car off the ground, or remove the tires and store them flat on the ground or on a shelf.
I have never pulled a battery out of a computer driven car, so I can’t say much about that, but it shouldn’t harm anything. There might be others here that have better info.
If you are in a relatively dry area, you’ll be OK, but if really long term storage is a concern in a very humid area you might want to look at something to keep mold or mildew out of the leather (what little there is of it).
A full fuel tank can't hurt, but aircraft have much larger tanks, and they are not left full all the time. That would be your call.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put mine to sleep for the winter in late November.

I changed the oil; washed and waxed it; inflated the tires to their maximum cold pressure; filled the gas tank to the brim and added a stabilizer; hooked up a battery maintainer; covered it with a good quality cover and set out some mouse poison.

This is my first winter with it so we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem with you in CA.
Pest will be issue for sure as the car is low to the ground.
I found mine with mice one morning checking the oil.
They decided to snuggle inside the engine bay to get warm during rainy cold night :eek:

The easiest way to prevent them is get moth balls or something similar. Rodents don't like the smell and they're cheap insurance.

Just a thought or 2

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice, guys....

With your help, I will surely be able to keep the Benz in good shape.

Now I just got to find a decent car cover that wont break the bank!!

-Ben

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi! i'm planing to park my 2003 sl500 for the winter in a heated garage,now i'm having diffrent opinions on where to connect the battery maintainer,front battery or back? can someone help....thanks

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts