Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'83 240D Auto 67k; '83 240D Manual 97k; '83 240D Manual 198k; '83 240D Manual 340k; '81 300D; S420
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a few hundred dollars each month to put towards stock pilling parts for the long term up keep of your cars what would you get.

The reason I ask is because I just put in an offer on my 4th 1983 240D. Obviously I am addicted to these cars and want to have them around me and my kids, hopefully, for MANY years to come. It always makes me sad when I'm looking for parts and get told they aren't available anymore. So the last few months I've been buying random parts that I think I may need in the future.

Do you all have any suggestions on what parts to get now that may not be available for much longer? I recently found out that I may have gotten one of the last headliners and cloth piping that runs along the interior B-pillar. I broke an oil cooler trying to get the oil lines off and found out those aren't available new any longer. Was told I got one of the last rear door checks around. Etc, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm addicted..........

If I get that car I bid on I'll try to post some pics - I think you all may like them.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
I haven't been in the game long enough to know about availability but heres what I would get based on my 13 month experience with the 123's.

-Flex disks
-Gasket kits
-Vacuum pods
-Vacuum pump parts
-Plastic sway bar links
-Rubber brake lines
-Injector nozzles
-Key and tumbler
-Sun roof seals and window seals
-ACC parts
-Engine, transmission and differential seals

·
Registered
'82 240D 4-spd
226 Posts
I haven't torn much of the car apart aside from the engine, but from that experience I can give you the following items (if you think an engine rebuild is something that might happen). Most of these were either hard to find and/or were limited availability from the dealership:

- Prechambers (If you have the round-tipped style for the OM616.912. Febi still has them in their product catalog but they're pretty much a special order straight from them out of Germany. If you have the angle-tip style, they're still fairly prevalent).

- Pistons (MB claimed to have 2 left in the US and 3 left in Germany. Period. They couldn't say if/when/ever there'd be more in stock.).

- Synchro rings (if you have the 716.210 manual transmission. I could not find them for sale anywhere outside of the dealership, and they (the dealership) claim that there are only 4 of the 1-4 type and 5 of the 2-3 type left in MB inventory. Also, each of those numbers will likely be reduced by 2 come this Thursday. :p )

Those are the items that have been the biggest pain-in-the-ass for me. Keep in mind these are all for an '82 240D. Availability seemed better for most stuff for the 300D Turbos (I'd see plenty of parts for those while I was hunting around). Also of note is that I'm talking new parts. There's still plenty of junkyards out there.

·
Registered
'83 240D Auto 67k; '83 240D Manual 97k; '83 240D Manual 198k; '83 240D Manual 340k; '81 300D; S420
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I'm talking with my Indy Mech back home to see about ordering some of these parts.

Here is my latest edition.... paid $10,250. I'm over seas but had a friend that is knowledgeable about W123's pick it up and said it is PERFECT (minus the auto trans).

So where can I find a 5 Spd manual trans????????

Mercedes-Benz 240D for sale | Hemmings Motor News

I'm guessing Mercedes Motoring/JG Francis would have flipped this for at least $18,000+

·
Registered
85 300 gd, unprofessional xo edition
485 Posts
So where can I find a 5 Spd manual trans????????
i think dieselkraut has a 5sp hanging around in his parts bin. though he may be using it on some cool future project. however, i'm sure if you give him a few thousand and a bit more for labor he'll put it in for you before it gets shipped out to you from san jose, ca.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOAH.... "a few thousand" for a 5 spd?

ummmm....... how much is a 4 spd worth?

The car spent most of it's time in San Jose then went to VA a few years ago. It's currently on it's way from Charlottesville, VA to Virginia Beach. I just got off the phone with my friend who arranged all this for me and is telling me that it's VERY NICE.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts