Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the letters and numbers on Mercedes stand for ?? I know S is for sedan (since I have one I had to know that) but all the other letters and numbers

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
The number is the engine size in liters.

S320 has a 3.2 lit
S430 has a 4.3 lit
S500 has a 5.0 lit
S600 has a 6.0 lit

ETC...

·
Registered
1999 S430 w220
202 Posts
What does the letters and numbers on Mercedes stand for ?? I know S is for sedan (since I have one I had to know that) but all the other letters and numbers
Nope, "S" stands not for Sedan, but for German "Sonderklasse", which can be translated as "Superior Class".
Actually, "sonder" means "special".

·
Registered
2000 S430
105 Posts
S - Sonderklasse
SLK - sportlich, leicht kurz
SL - sportlich, leicht
ML - Meister leicht
CLK - Coup leicht kurz
A - Anfnger
C - Compact
E - Einspritzer
V - Vamilies
G - Gelaendewagen

and AMG is "Aufrecht Melcher Grossaspach" (Mercedes Benz racing)

·
Registered
1999 S430 w220
202 Posts
Jaro, thanks for deciphering the abbreviations - I was always curious about what "ML" stands for. :)

But I don't think that you are quiet correct with the Einspritzer for "E". In older cars "E" was for Einspritzung (Injection), but since the middle of 90-s, when current Mercedes class definitions occured, "E" stands for something like Executive.

·
Registered
2000 S430
105 Posts
You are right I would not bet my head on it. Its all about evolving and keeping it somehow within understanding .It always comes to a point when technology advances so much that some features become second nature .Prime example is term Kompressor , it was huge when it was new , now you can buy new VW for $17K with similar technology but MB decided to stick with it .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts