Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled some Larch Logs out of a Forest today for a mate to Clad his house with.If I hadn't forgotten the Tyres chains we wouldn't have endured all the "Fun" of getting the Machine unstuck.

Western Norwegian Terrain Consists of three media,Rock,Water and Bog.Unfortunatly much of what we try to drive over or in,consists of the last two.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thank for posting!

Moar details on that rear mounted forestry winch thing.

Nice house/cabin in the background as well.
Your welcome.

The winch is an Iglands single Drum winch.They are really nice and have a high line speed.That one is an old one that I borrowed,has plenty of Pull but does not hold the line tight,good for skidding logs,bad for attempted self recovery.

Here is their Website.Igland AS

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Do appreciate the post. I have a working Mog too, and forestry is what I prefer. On the other hand, I'm just a hick with home made implements. I've wanted a Farmi for awhile, but have not made the jump yet. I appreciate the bog issue. Central Maine has much the same media. My brother-in-law is about to embark on cleaning out 100 acres and it's wet. Cut through the top vegetation, and you've got bog.

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do appreciate the post. I have a working Mog too, and forestry is what I prefer. On the other hand, I'm just a hick with home made implements. I've wanted a Farmi for awhile, but have not made the jump yet. I appreciate the bog issue. Central Maine has much the same media. My brother-in-law is about to embark on cleaning out 100 acres and it's wet. Cut through the top vegetation, and you've got bog.

Thanks
Iglands Winches are available here for about $1000US in used condition,less if you find on for sale unadvertised.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Pulled some Larch Logs out of a Forest today for a mate to Clad his house with.If I hadn't forgotten the Tyres chains we wouldn't have endured all the "Fun" of getting the Machine unstuck.

Western Norwegian Terrain Consists of three media,Rock,Water and Bog.Unfortunatly much of what we try to drive over or in,consists of the last two.
Tell me you're the one with the man-beard !

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Techmogy:We felled the Trees in the Summer,pulling them out now for a mate.

Mogish:Yes,I'm the one with the Beard.

The First picture is from last Winter and the Second Picture is from us Clear Felling and Chipping the Forest from where the original pictures in this Post are taken.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Good too see you out playing, Iam up here at North Pole and the last week has been avg. - 42 f. Too damn cold to enjoy the outdoors for more than thirty minutes. Vehicles freeze and tires are out of round black rubber on roads from belts and boots, if you yank the steering wheel too hard and the power steering hose pops all auto shops full till dec. I am heading back to Palmer today hope my rig does not break....

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well, I had a quandry: Drag the logs out using my hack skidder set-up, then chuck on the backhoe and load the trailer. A bit of a pain that. So, still a pain but doable, I used the back hoe to skid out the logs then used it load them. Hopefully I'll get them milled up this weekend. Then it's drying time.

Got a chance to use my handy-dandy air-up/air-down thing on the trailer. Works great for that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm very pleased. Got 560 board feed of Ash, Maple and Red Oak. One more load to go. Beautiful stuff, and soooooo much less expensive than buying from the wood shop. The trailer is still waiting for two more logs to get milled. It's working it's way onto the drying racks now.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am impressed that where you're working looks almost just like where I live.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I run the hose off of the secondary air tank on the Mog. The compressor is just the standard crank driven one on the side of the block. Enough to air up the truck after off road work. More air would be nice, but I have what I need.

I'm afraid it's not my mill. I have yet to move enough wood at any one time to justify buying one. I have a homemade Alaskan mill, but it's very inefficient, and takes too much time for the lumber you get out of it. The picture is of a professional sawyer, north of Concord NH. He is a very nice fellow, works fast and take a lot of care with his cuts. We had very few sprung boards.

The long term plan is for me to work the ash and oak into flooring. I have the tooling for that. The maple is mostly spalted, so it will become furniture, what type will be driven by the quality of the wood and how interesting the spalting is.

Where are you at aaronsb? Most of New England and eastern Canada (south of central Quebec) looks very similar in close up photos in my opinion. I love this part of the country, but out west is where the visual drama is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts