Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
'91 560SEL, '88 560SL, '87 300SDL, '98 E320, '82 300TD..... '91 350SDL (RIP) totalled
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys/Ladies,
My entire locking system is shot, so I am having all actuators replaced (both doors, fuel filler, trunk and trunk mounted pump) and I am having someone else do this as I need this car relatively done by Christmas, and I have other projects on her to finish. This question may be too vague, BUT: The passenger door does not lock/unlock via the key (but will manually), however the drivers does. I have been told that I need two replacement exterior handles as the tumbler in the passenger door won't turn. I say that just because the lock won't turn, it is not an indication that the central locking won't function..I don't care about the key working (at this stage), I just want it to unlock/lock via the actuator...He says that it must be replaced regardless.....Who's correct? :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Having just been in there myself to try to change the cylinders, The bit about needing new handles is not correct, your mechanic may be confused.

The cylinders are held in by one screw into a piece on the end of the locking assembly. Insert the key, remove that screw, and the cylinder will come out. Tape the cylinder up before removing the key to keep the little bits from flying all over the place.

The locking mechanism hooks into a slotted tab that is moved up and down to lock and unlock. It sounds like the locking mechanism is jammed. To fix that, you have to pull the trim and covers on the inside of the door to get to all the mechanism.

Once you open the door, and slide down the larger chrome plate at the back bottom of the window, there is a hole to look into to see the door handle mechanism. There are two screws that hold the handle in, just under the seal that have to be undone, then the handle moves forward and you can get it out then.

Hope this provides some help.
Scott

·
Premium Member
'91 560SEL, '88 560SL, '87 300SDL, '98 E320, '82 300TD..... '91 350SDL (RIP) totalled
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RadioTek,
I just almost KNEW that I was correct about the independence of the actual key and the locking mechanism...Since I was told to order/buy replacement handles,
I did as I was told like an obedient sheep...Another member took his handles out, as his Drivers locking system was broken/frozen(?)..He took the 'new' handle along w/ the broken one and a locksmith re-keyed the 'new' one to match the other... I'd like to try your approach first to have that time honored feeling of,"Yup...I did that"...Thanks for the tutorial!!!
I'll post my results.......Also, I just re-finished leather seats off of eBay that were worn in the lumbar area after watching a u-tube tutorial to death..Got the seats CHEAPLY, and other than the dye, I got everything I needed at the acclaimed Walmart....They look ABSOLUTELY new..total cost sans the seats: materials INCLUDING dye...$45.00.ask me how..lol, NOT pitching a product!
Cheers

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok Rowdie..NICE RACK, b.t.w...........Thanks for the link!! Sooooooooooo, My '88 560SL indeed looks like that one, repeat with the extended shaft and electrical connection. The door handles that I bought are ALSO the same configuration. Which then leads me, I guess, to my original question(s). Will the locking mechanism still function regardless of whether or not the key tumbler does with the NEW actuator, and also, can I just take the replacement handle and key it to the original???

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Sorry, I was referencing my '75. The cylinder should not be too different, though. Unless things were RADICALLY changed for your model. As always, YMMV, though. :eek:

Scott

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
I pulled these for someone, and while they were out, I cleaned and lubed them. I will put together a thred on them soon.. Here's a few pics of the 75 slc, and pics from GlueckAuf of an 87 560..

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,359 Posts
When I pulled mine from the '72 the lock cylinder started to go to pieces if I didn't leave the key in.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
I got lucky, that thing was so gummed up, they couldn't fall out, I had to stick it the parts washer to get them to move.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts