Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as you know I have been searching for a way to get lockers for my truck. I have come up empty handed since ORC said they were not succesfull in making a reliable locker and Extrem never responds to my e-mails.

What I would like to know is how much modification it would take to do what is mentioned on Wolfgangs website here:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/ml_lockers.html

What actually needs to be done to replace the open rear diff of the ML to the older W124 4-matic center piece diff with the clutchpacks??

I'm just looking to do a rear locker for now as a trial if not TOOOOO much work needs to be done. Please let me know. Thxs!!

·
Registered
'02ML320
806 Posts
dude, you got some balls mang. you should check mercedes_ shop dot come. (take the hyphen out) there are alotta w124 gurus there

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anybody else have any input on this ??

I talked to my local independent Benz shop that is AWESOME, and they told me they could do it but they would reccomend I swap the front diff as well so the gear ratios would be the same. Does this sound right to you ??

Wolfgang, do you have any input on what kind of modifications would have to be done to get this to work ?? [?][?]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually you dont ... many vehicles come with just a rear locker and not a center one. And according to Jerry, my benz mechanic, I dont need a center locker. All it would do is distribute an even ammount of power to my front and rear diff, and if I'm not mistaken ETS does it already.

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Unlike most 4x4's, the ML has a differential transfer case. It sends torque through the path of least resistance. If only your rear wheels have traction, your rear locker won't do much good because the torque will be sent up front. Most 4x4's only use front and rear lockers because their transfer cases are not differential. Most 4x4's still offer a locking transfer case, or are locked when Low Range is engaged. The ML is different; 4ETS is supposed to provide traction where needed, but we all know how good 4ETS performs off road (not very).

Take the current G-Class for example. It uses 3 lockers, front center and rear, and it has an open T-Case like the ML. The standard procedure for operation the G-Class lockers are to engage center first, then rear, and then front. Many people simply engage the center locker anyway when they go off road, so it becomes true 4 wheel drive like most 4x4's with part time transfer cases.

Only locking the rear does not guarantee true 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very well put, I wasnt aware of this ... I guess I was miss-informed. I will look into the center locker that uses a windshield wiper motor to lock it. Thxs for the info Chia. I guess this may end up being more trouble than I'm willing to bite off. [xx(]

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
MLOffrod, the easiest way to get the parts is probably from an old 4matic E-class. They were sold in the US from 90 to 93. That system has a center differential with clutch and locker, plus axle differentials with locker. It never was a very reliable system, and dropped after a few years, not like the 4ETS in the M-class, and so quite a few of these cars may be around and be inexpensise 'donor' cars for those parts.

Otherwise a transmission shop like a MB and ZF transmission rebuilder may have to engineer clutch plates to progressively lock the open differentials. But these shops are hard to find and this can be rather expensive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wolfgang - 5/12/2005 9:31 PM

MLOffrod, the easiest way to get the parts is probably from an old 4matic E-class. They were sold in the US from 90 to 93. That system has a center differential with clutch and locker, plus axle differentials with locker. It never was a very reliable system, and dropped after a few years, not like the 4ETS in the M-class, and so quite a few of these cars may be around and be inexpensise 'donor' cars for those parts.

Otherwise a transmission shop like a MB and ZF transmission rebuilder may have to engineer clutch plates to progressively lock the open differentials. But these shops are hard to find and this can be rather expensive.

Good luck.
On your site there is amention of just welding the center differential to have it always in the locked position. Would this mess up traction control ?? And what other negative side-effects would I have ?? Thxs again !!

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
MLOffRoad - 5/13/2005 8:03 AM
On your site there is amention of just welding the center differential to have it always in the locked position. Would this mess up traction control ?? And what other negative side-effects would I have ?? Thxs again !!
That's a brute force method for dedicated offroaders and the car wont drive well on pavement after that.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wolfgang - 5/13/2005 12:12 PM

MLOffRoad - 5/13/2005 8:03 AM
That's a brute force method for dedicated offroaders and the car wont drive well on pavement after that.
Roger that ... I'll just toss that idea out. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts