Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'95 C220 w202. 199920 miles and counting :)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi there guys, long time since i have been here.

My poor old girl '95 C220 has been SORN (off road) for just over a year, parked under a tree and being rained on by all sorts of rubbish including branches, birds and god knows what else so she looks like something oscar the grouch would drive at the moment :mad:.

Over this time the small undersized battery that was in it had died and the petrol that was left in the tank seems to have evaporated, a couple of weeks ago I got a new full sized battery for it and put a bit of petrol (5Ltr) just to turn it over and I sorted out the flat tyres etc. while I was sorting it out the bonet catch cable popped out of the handle and got stuck in the locked position, also my boot lock has seized up so I cant even use my key in there to get at the battery which seems to have gone flat over 10 days or so while i was busy and not able to turn it over every other day.

Now this is going to sound a little mental, but I need to break into my car somehow and getting in under the bonnet would be the best for me so I can connect it up via the pins to my charger and then pop the boot with the central locking. I had an investigate earlier today and by putting a pairing knife into a hole in the grill up where the locking mechanism is I got the black latch thing to come out but pulling it did not disengage the bonnet like it normally would....

So how am I going to get at my battery guys and gals? the only lock i have that is accessible is the passenger side door and because it is parked right under a tree its a pretty tight space to get in. Thanks for your replies in advance and eagerly looking forward to some suggestions :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i can get to the cable no problems because it still has the "ball link" end on it, its just that i don't know how to reattach it to the red bonnet release lever, also the car is on a bit of a hill so could probably get one of my kids to get in and roll it down maybe.... hmm is there any other way to get into the boot, apart from central locking or using the key? there should be some way to open it from inside the car surely?

·
Registered
1997 W202-C180 Classic, smoke silver metallic, Lowered
271 Posts
If you don't have the split rear seats or the skibag hole, there's not really any way of getting in

Have you tried drowning the lock in wd40?
(knowing past experiences, the key lock and the central lock is two different locks and you can't get one to open the other)

Try a battery charger thing that charges the battery through the cigarette lighter to get the boot open, then either replace the battery or charge it

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
If the ball is still on the end of the cable just grab it with some vice grips and give it a pull; hood should pop up. I'm not sure where to jumper the positive cable to , but might look at either connection on alternator or starter, probably alternator.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
I had my lock seize up on my W140... putting the key in the lock and using a pair of pliers to GENTLY twist it a little back and fourth until it gives worked for me... some lubrication of some sort may help, but if you work at it you may get that lock to turn again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi thanks for the replies guys, yeah as to jumping through the bonnet i did that before and know where to do it from will give the pliers a go later, as to the lock on the boot, the key goes in and it turns fine it just does nothing, i can turn the key round 360 degrees and it just stays locked, when it is at the 12 o'clock position it is a bit stiff then the rest of the way round it goes round really easily like there is nothing engaging. will have to give a bit of wd40 a go, was going to pull the lock off and try cleaning the gubbin's out but that was before this rubbish happened :(

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Oh boy, sounds like the lock itself could be toast. Cant you hook a battery up to the car from underneath? I recall that being an option if I couldn't get my boot open.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
about this charger that goes in through the cigerette lighter socket.... i have been reading up on them and they apparently only work if you have an "active 12v connector" i phoned up my local halfords and they couldn't tell me if mine has or not and seeing as the battery is dead i can't test it....

Halfords | CTEK XS0.8 Car Battery Charger

and

Halfords | CTEK Cigarette Plug Adapter

are the two things i was looking at, i know the charger is a bit on the small size but all i need it for it to give enough juice to the battery to pop the central locking..... i just dont know if it is worth the risk seeing as i dont know if it is an active 12v or not any ideas on this would be highly appreciated

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think what he means by an "Active Socket" is one that remains on even though the car is off.
Thinking about it now, this idea won't work. (But then, it might work if you turn and leave the key in position 1)
Try charging the car off those points in the engine bay. (If you can get into it)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i got a friend to come round who is much smaller then me and could get under the driver side dash and get a good angle to pull the cable so it popped up in about 30 seconds :) so now i just need to get a mammoth extension cable and get my charger in there to pop the boot, thanks for all your help guys problem solved, though i would like to know if the socket is active or not though for future reference

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
Socket is not active; it only comes on when key is on. Theoretically you could charge the battery that way if you left the key on, but it would be fighting itself trying to keep control modules, dash lights and what not running while it charges, and besides, I personally would not feel real comfortable running current through such a small wire to charge the battery. My suggestion in the future would be to invest in a jumper pack that you can plug in to the lighter socket long enough to open the trunk lid, then you can hook the jumper pack up to the battery, start the car and move it to a location where you can give the original battery a good charge. Jumper packs are a decent investment anyway no matter what you drive; its something you can always keep in the car and have available if you ever screw up and leave lights on, or just have a weak battery. I like them better than jumper cables.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ironic thing is i have a jumper pack with a lighter socket thing on it..... it was in the boot :bowdown: ....

because it was a brand new battery that i fully charged before putting in i didn't expect it to go flat quite that quickly i know for the future to just go over and take the damn thing out, in fact i will just keep the battery in my house till i need it i think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alphaline / Alphaline Batteries / Batteries by Application

this was the battery i bought, to replace a really small one that was in there, i received it, made sure it was fully charged, put it in with a few pounds worth of petrol (this is my first car so not really sure what to do most of the time) my mother in law said to turn it over ever other day for at least 30 minutes. i was doing this until it ran out of petrol and i was completely broke so couldn't turn it over for a while. when i had the money (approx 10 days) i went over to get my jerry can out of the boot to get some more petrol and found to my dismay that the battery was dead and this is where it all started, after speaking to my dad he told me that i was turning it over for way too long and too often and that probably flattened the battery. still don't know if this was the cause or what but there we have it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:
managed to get the bonnet open with pliers by yanking on the ball clip, found out the holding circle in the lever is snapped (will buy another lever) plugged a battery charger in to the terminals in the engine bay and the central locking popped only when i put the key in the ignition. while the boot was open i used WD40 on the lock to see if it would sort itself out and lo and behold :) it worked. so now the only problem is the bonnet release catch, i need to find out what the part number is and where to get one from, also how to fit it, will do some digging but any help would be appreciated thanks again

adam

·
Registered
271 Posts
The part number should be on the catch, I don't know how to get it out though but I do remember someone who faced the same problem, Might need to search the forums

1 - 20 of 21 Posts