Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, the trunk on my 380SL is locked and will not open with key or by vaccuum. I desperately need to open the trunk. Can someone tell me what I will have to do?<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
Robert Ray

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Robert,<br> <br> On the 1978 through 1984 300D,TD,CD and SD models, three bolts will remove the upper back seat (remove the lower part first by simply kneeling on the front portion and releasing the catches). The cable that opens the trunk can then be reached (by a skinny-armed person, at least!) on the driver's side of the trunk. The vacuum line is also accessible from here, but is usually more difficult to work manually.<br> What year is your 380SL? I might be able to come up with something else, but the rear seat access always wrked for my beasts.<br> Good Luck,<br> Rex

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Robert,<br> <br> As FAR AS I KNOW, that should be the same body type as my 300TD, and removing the rear seat should do it. Remember that the center bolt is hgher up than the two on the sides, and you have to manipulate the center arm rest to get at it.<br> I don't have tech data on anything but the 240-300D series, but your local library should have at least the chilton's for your car.<br> One other thing to think about is to leave a hand cable hooked up to the lock extending under the rear seat, so in case this ever happens again, you can just reach under and pull instead of having to dismount everything (that's what I did, and it sure saved me a lot of work when we changed the locks about three years later!).<br> Good Luck,<br> Rex

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Un-Locked trunk

Did not want to go to MB dealer and share $200 with them for a new lock, did not want to drill lock, did not want to drive screwdriver thru lock,could not get to trunk from inside car so what did I do. From under the car I cut a hole through the floor of the trunk and pushed the spare tire up out of the way just enough to be able to reach up through the trunk to reach the lock and it is now open. Key will not open trunk but vaccum does. Probably need to replace or repair lock. Now all I have to do is repair the hole I made which will be much cheaper than going to MBZ.<br>
<br>
Thanks for all the suggestions.<br>
<br>
Robert Ray

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Un-Locked trunk

What you did is probably a lot easier than my suggestion would have been-- I think I'll do it your way the next time it happens to me!<br> <br> I'm glad you got it open,<br> Rex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts