Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a bad day.:mad: I have the flatest of batteries and the jump leads are in the car. My SL is the kind with no keyholes in the handles (1999 500) except one that appears to be masked off on the driver side. Is there a manual way of getting in to save me going to the store for more jump leads?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Pull out the rubber 'masking' plug from the door handle and your key should fit...
I say 'should' as one of the problems with recent SLs over here was intermittent starting problems - fixed by a new steering/ign lock. If your steering lock was ever replaced and not coded for the same key, or the door locked not coded, then this will not happen.

You can get to the bonnet release cable from underneath if you pretend to have 'Japenese' arms, and jump start it, but please make sure you put lots of masking tape around the positive jump point - you do not want to compound the issue with electronic failures.
hth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I will be brave.

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts

·
Banned
8,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i've said it before and i'll say it again, jump starting is covered on page 111 in the 95sl320 manual i downloaded from this site.

if cables are hooked up properly there should be no damage to any electrical components.

HOOK UP ONE SET OF THE CABLES BACKWARDS AND YES YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Please read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2229422-post11.html and if your car has a 'door lock cover' simply pry off the plastic cover and insert your key.
Sort of what I have already said, but twice is better than once, I guess.

On that basis, I second Bearone2 re jump starting. Sure there are horror stories from MB mechanics, what they do not say are all the things like connecting 24V to 12V, +ve to -ve, accidentally earthing whilst connecting the +ve etc etc. As he says, it is in the manual (p295 on the facelifted publication) - the recommendation is to connect the -ve last, which makes sense and is a rule followed by those in the know. Even the die-hards will always use a sheet of rubber with a hole that exposes only the +ve terminal for the jump lead. Carried out correctly, using the correct kit, there should be no problem in jump starting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again to all. My pride and joy lives again. A battery conditioner will be my next purchase. Any sugestions?

·
Registered
387 Posts
i've said it before and i'll say it again, jump starting is covered on page 111 in the 95sl320 manual i downloaded from this site.

if cables are hooked up properly there should be no damage to any electrical components.

HOOK UP ONE SET OF THE CABLES BACKWARDS AND YES YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.
Nice to know, I read about problems with jumpstarting merc's.
I've jumped merc's before without problem so I was thinking why I never had a problem afterwards.

It's logical when U don't connect things the way they are intended, something will break...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts