Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I don't suppose this is new but it's the first time for me!
My 1989 300SL was unlocked and I was charging the battery in situ with the positive disconnected (keys inside the car) Next day on checking I found the car locked with the key inside. Stupid I now know. I would be pleased to know from anyone how best to unlock the car. The bonnet is still up if that helps.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Call your local MB dealer, asking them who they use for lockouts. Or, if you have any proof of ownership not locked in the car, purchase a key from the dealer. They'll use the VIN.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Call your local MB dealer, asking them who they use for lockouts. Or, if you have any proof of ownership not locked in the car, purchase a key from the dealer. They'll use the VIN.
One method of unlocking a car door (which a locksmith once used to get me into my car) is to use something (the locksmith used an inflatable balloon-type thing) to pry the top corner of the door slightly out--just enough that you can get a rebent coat hanger around the weather stripping. Then you just go fishing for the lock lever.

The locksmith charged me $70 for that (after failing to pick the lock or slim jim it) but it's a lesson I only had to learn once.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
One method of unlocking a car door (which a locksmith once used to get me into my car) is to use something (the locksmith used an inflatable balloon-type thing) to pry the top corner of the door slightly out--just enough that you can get a rebent coat hanger around the weather stripping. Then you just go fishing for the lock lever.

The locksmith charged me $70 for that (after failing to pick the lock or slim jim it) but it's a lesson I only had to learn once.
Try applying a vacuum to the door lock. Under the hood. A reverse vacuuum could apply as well. Good luck.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Im not familiar with this model, but do you have a chrome strip on the door next to the window (drivers side)? If you do then this can simply be pulled off and you can insert a bent wire to hook the locking bar.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Im not familiar with this model, but do you have a chrome strip on the door next to the window (drivers side)? If you do then this can simply be pulled off and you can insert a bent wire to hook the locking bar.
No way, no how.

On the 107, all of door lock and it's actuating linkage is located between the inner door frame and the interior door panel. None of it is even remotely accessible via the door cavity.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I'd try the coat hanger going between the window and the rear window seal, then pull the lock open. Might need to replace the window seal, but that would be cheaper than replacing the window.

·
52,804 Posts
No way, no how.

On the 107, all of door lock and it's actuating linkage is located between the inner door frame and the interior door panel. None of it is even remotely accessible via the door cavity.
Yes it is dude:thumbsup: but you have to know how to get in there and over the internet thats not easy to explain.

·
52,804 Posts
Then explain one simple thing. Where is the 'locking bar' located in the 107 door.

And let me remind you of this;
OK, and thats why I said its not easy to explain this over the internet, could you post a pic of your car?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts
You guys with your vacuum door locks,electric windows, AC and cruise control.

If I had to maintain all that shit I would need to change my "dealer only" policy.

I can't imagine a scenario where I couldn't unlock my door, but then I would just reach in the tear in the soft top and unlock the door.

I had my panels off....I'm pretty good with opening locked cars. It would be really hard to jimmy a 107.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
My approach would be a long wire off a heavy mig welding spool, through the rear window seal and to the latch on the opposite door. I was never able to do it on the same door.

John Roncallo

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
My approach would be a long wire off a heavy mig welding spool, through the rear window seal and to the latch on the opposite door. I was never able to do it on the same door.

John Roncallo
That's close to what I was thinking. You'd have to go under the seal for the top, then get over the rise inside that and be able to reach the opposite door handle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts