Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Currently two W210 E Class 300TD 1998
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I've taken the battery out of my W210E Class 330TD and locked it only to find the metal keys in the fobs do not fit the locks.

Any Ideas guys? I have a window I could replace. That's my only current option. Break a window.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,127 Posts
Is rear seat cushion up so you can look at position of battery cables? How did you lock it?

Lift and safely support vehicle. Remove covers under engine. Get two fused leads. Connect negative cable to clean engine ground, positive to starter lug or alternator lug. This will not work if positive battery cable is touching ground.

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
8,374 Posts
Hi Guys, I've taken the battery out of my W210E Class 330TD and locked it only to find the metal keys in the fobs do not fit the locks.

Any Ideas guys? I have a window I could replace. That's my only current option. Break a window.

Regards

Chris
How did you lock the lock the car ? manually ?

Have you tried the trunk button (where the keyhole is) ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I might be able to get into the engine compartment and that will enable me to use the booster points. A flat screwdriver inserted at around 12 to 1pm above the headlamp and pushed rightwards will open the catches on the bonnet. It's a long process unless you get it right first time. Otherwise your approach is perfect. Thank you.

I thought I was thinking ahead by locking the doors albeit one open with the key fob before disconnecting the battery. Ordinarily everything would have gone smoothly except the bad joke someone played on all future owners of the car. I will contact Mercedes also and out if I can get a key for it.

Does anyone know if there are numbers on the lock or somewhere that will confirm that these are the original locks for the car?

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trunk will not open either. It does not fit the key.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
6,626 Posts
String method?
There are other non-destructive methods too.

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
8,374 Posts
The trunk will not open either. It does not fit the key.
Probably needs some clarification. I am trying to visualize what you did.
You unlocked all the doors (to access the rear door to remove the battery.
You removed the battery,
You locked the doors manually from the knobs ? (without the battery the PSE is not powered to lock your doors)
I would have thought the trunk would remain unlocked (and the fuel filler door too). So no need to unlock the trunk lock.

In that case pressing the trunk button would have opened the trunk. Maybe ?

If you can open the trunk you can access the trunk compartment bulb, remove the bulb and apply 12V to activate the electronics.

The "over the headlights" is a novel idea. I should try next time. Let us know if it works and how to tips.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've liberally sprayed them with oil and propellent and they wont budge. they aren't stuck. I recon someone has changed the ECU or the locks and not retained the metal keys. The locking system on these is vacuum locked and there are no accessible lugs to pull up. It's a very secure vehicle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simple I locked all the doors with the fob prior to disconnecting the battery. The open door was locked albeit required shutting to permanently lock. Try it with yours. You can lock the doors whilst one is still open then when it is closed it locks.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,634 Posts
I thought I and the car were being cleaver.
Wow, a problem that may be unique - in all time - should make you feel special in any case.
Not making fun Im commiserative.
Seems every month or two I do a screw up so uniquely 'me' that Im like - that was world class !

Ok - wouldnt there be a chance that an MB Dealer would likely been the source for an 'all new locks' package thus MB MIGHT have knowledge of the new replacement key code & could cut a proper mech key ?

Worth a shot I'd think.

Here USA they keep track of all that.

If the (apparent) new locks were junkyard salvaged then maybe a no go.

Cannot a GREAT locksmith get in ?

David in Texas

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got in once by moving the mechanism above the small headlight to the right. It's fiddly and you are working blind. Try it next time the bonnet is open. The boot did shut and I think the fuel flap because I used the fob. I also closed the bonnet after all the other stuff was done so really shot myself in the foot. I recon I will end up taping the window up with brown tape then smashing it and doing it that way. I am charging the battery up overnight then the hammer is coming out! The windows are a 10 minute job to swap. This all started because the fuel sender unit has changed its reading and I ran out of fuel that last time I parked it. Then I flattened the battery and you can see where it went from there. The good news is, I had the rear bumper and arch liners off today and it is completely solid. Probably only couple of solid examples left in the UK.

Thanks for your prompt help

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,634 Posts
Are used windows are plentiful & cheap or you already have one ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have window the exact same era and tint for the same model. Mercedes original; However, I recon from my welding days and thankfully what Witel_M informed us on the first reply, the alternator feed will most likely be accessible from beneath the vehicle. It will have to be that or the starter feed or it won't have a direct route to the live high tension circuitry. I can get at the fog lamp live very easily through the tow pull-out in the bumper however, it goes via a switch to the fuse box. The switch will most likely not permit the current to access the rest of the vehicle unlike the solenoid live on the starter or alternator feed. If I can do this reliably without smashing a window then I don't require a metal key and don't have to pay Mercedes 300GBP... I have heavy duty copper speaker cables 200 strand and some domestic crocodile clips in the cellar. Most of the good stuff I keep in the trunk of the car... 🙄The battery is toped up with reverse osmosis water and that is bubbling away very nicely. I will use the return feed from the injection pump to bleed the fuel lines in reverse with a hand primer pump, also in the trunk, then fire her up. I will keep you all posted. Thank you :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wouldnt there be a chance that an MB Dealer would likely been the source for an 'all new locks' package thus MB MIGHT have knowledge of the new replacement key code & could cut a proper mech key ?

David in Texas
Hi David, I've just seen your very good idea here amongst some others. Kudos and thank you. You might be right. There was only one previous owner from new. I'll give Mercedes a ring and see if they have a record of it.

·
Registered
1997 E320 (279K Mi)
43 Posts
Pretty sure you can reach through from underneath the car and pop the hood latches by hand. Never tried it but worth a shot. I think this is how you open the hood when your cable has snapped. Good Luck. Don't break the window!

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,266 Posts
But if your battery is disconnected I guess it doesn't matter.
no...that idea will still work. the under-hood terminals are an extension of their respective
leads. so even with the battery out of the loop (which is in parallel) a 12vdc power source
under the hood will do nicely (if I'm understanding you correctly)

·
B 200T W245 ,
67 Posts
i take it that you only have the one key fob ? apart from you would need to remove the trays underneath and locate the starter and a decent earth , but question comes to mind , where were the terminals placed when you took the battery out of the back seat ? (would i be correct that the battery in in the bottom rear seat area ?) as you would hate to have the pos terminal hitting the earth . a locksmith would be a good idea , he should be able to jib it to open THEN he can rejib to make sure the key you have opens it. , the pressure to slide up the lock on the door is rather pretty heavy . and in no way wire or packing ribbon will open it unless of course you have that magic tool of a big flat ruler type hook that you can slide down outside the window and hope to the great key god that no cover is over the mec.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts