Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes CLK320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I feel like I am in bad movie. I have a nice looking Mercedes sitting in my driveway that is nothing but decoration because I cannot open it. I recently have gotten a company car which means that the Mercedes is rarely being used right now.
I realized last Saturday morning that the battery had died. I jump started the car and drove around in it for about an hour in order to run errands and recharge the battery.
Well, the next day when I wanted to open the car with my key fob, it would not open. I figured I have to jump start it again and wanted to open the car with the mechanical key. Guess what, the mechanical key didn’t work. I have turned the key many times, have applied WD-40 several times, but it still does not open. I called a locksmith and he told me that it doesn’t sound like he could help me.
All I need is open the door so I can open the hood and jump start it. Does anyone have any suggestions what I need to do? I find it absolutely crazy that I am locked out of my car just because the battery died. I can open the trunk with the mechanical key so it must be the correct key.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
3,263 Posts
Hello folks,

I feel like I am in bad movie. I have a nice looking Mercedes sitting in my driveway that is nothing but decoration because I cannot open it. I recently have gotten a company car which means that the Mercedes is rarely being used right now.
I realized last Saturday morning that the battery had died. I jump started the car and drove around in it for about an hour in order to run errands and recharge the battery.
Well, the next day when I wanted to open the car with my key fob, it would not open. I figured I have to jump start it again and wanted to open the car with the mechanical key. Guess what, the mechanical key didn’t work. I have turned the key many times, have applied WD-40 several times, but it still does not open. I called a locksmith and he told me that it doesn’t sound like he could help me.
All I need is open the door so I can open the hood and jump start it. Does anyone have any suggestions what I need to do? I find it absolutely crazy that I am locked out of my car just because the battery died. I can open the trunk with the mechanical key so it must be the correct key.
As you turn the key, pull the handle. It will unlock. Do it at nearly same time.

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes CLK320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you turn the key, pull the handle. It will unlock. Do it at nearly same time.
That does not work for me. I have tried that about 100 times at this point. I sprayed a bunch of lock ease into the lock now but nothing moves even a little bit.
Anyone have another idea what other options I have besides having it towed to the shop or breaking into me own car?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
3,263 Posts
There should be a way to connect the jumper underneath the car, to give it temporary power so you can use remote to unlock.

Alternator power and ground would be a good start. Or any other exposed positive cables down there... Don't use the starter cable!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do your rear seats fold down? If so, crawl through the trunk, over the seat backs and open either front door manually.
That does not work for me. I have tried that about 100 times at this point. I sprayed a bunch of lock ease into the lock now but nothing moves even a little bit.
Anyone have another idea what other options I have besides having it towed to the shop or breaking into me own car?

Did you try mu suggestion yet?

·
Registered
92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
1,197 Posts
Did you try mu suggestion yet?
He has a Cab

On my 190 I gave up on the lock and used a large set of channel lock pliers grabbed the end of the key and turned it back and forth until it broke loose. Keep in mind that this was the turn lock and I didn't care if the key/lock broke.

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes CLK320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved. Had a company come out and look at it. They just put a cushion between the rear and front window to create a gap and put a rod through so they can pull the door handle until the door pops open. Took him 20 seconds. At least I know what to do next time.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Glad it's fixed.:)

How big was the gap? I'm surprised that the window glass did not break!

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes CLK320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad it's fixed.:)

How big was the gap? I'm surprised that the window glass did not break!
Thanks. The gab was probably not more than 1/4 inch. The guy told me that you have to be very careful not to break the windows. Especially with convertibles. I have now hooked up the car to a trickle charger in the garage. Live and learn. :wink

Thanks for everybody's help.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,979 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
149 Posts
I have the same issue right now. I’m so tempered to try this but afraid with my luck I will 100% break the window, probably both of them.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Convertible
619 Posts
Thanks. The gab was probably not more than 1/4 inch. The guy told me that you have to be very careful not to break the windows. Especially with convertibles. I have now hooked up the car to a trickle charger in the garage. Live and learn. :wink

Thanks for everybody's help.
I would suggest you look into replacing the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
help please have a 2004 clk convertible took battery out to charge realised after shutting bonnet car is locked had this before had to break window to get in tried key in drivers door trick does not work cant afford window replace this time please help

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
149 Posts
Call a lock Smith/tow truck. They can open it. Or you can call aaa sign up for their cheapest package and then you can have them show up and open the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts