Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning.
I have a 2003 Mercedes SL that I had parked for two months in my drive way.
When I bought the car few years back I only got one key. The valet key is missing.
With valet key I mean the little metal key that slides into the key fob.
Now I cannot enter my car because it does not unlock. Little red light on key is OK. Maybe the rear battery is dead and does not supply any more power to unlock the doors?

Anyone any idea on how I can get into my car, open the rear trunk and charge the rear battery?

Thank you in advance for your help
Marcus

·
Registered
2004 SL600; 2004 SL500;1996 SL600;2003 ML350; 1997 C280 Sport; 1987 190e 2.3 16v; 1986 190e 2.3 16V;
828 Posts
Somehow get a charger on the starter cable connection from underneath?

·
Registered
99 CLK 320 (1998-2009); 2006 E500 (2009-2015); 2009 SL550 (2018-Present)
7 Posts
I would get a blade key made -- from the dealer. You don't need to order the whole fob, you can order just the metal key (I did this a long time ago on another car, an it was like $25 for the blade key). They do it from the VIN, so you don't need a key to copy from, but bring your license and registration with you as they require that for security purposes.

Most dealers don't cut the keys in-house, rather put it in with the rest of their parts order for the day, so you'll have it in a day (maybe two).

·
Registered
2003 SL55
35 Posts
On another note, the trunk battery is constantly being drained by onboard systems so after you get the car open you need to get a quality float charger put on the trunk battery to keep it fully charged. Totally discharging it will shorten it's life span and it isn't cheap to replace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would get a blade key made -- from the dealer. You don't need to order the whole fob, you can order just the metal key (I did this a long time ago on another car, an it was like $25 for the blade key). They do it from the VIN, so you don't need a key to copy from, but bring your license and registration with you as they require that for security purposes.

Most dealers don't cut the keys in-house, rather put it in with the rest of their parts order for the day, so you'll have it in a day (maybe two).
Anything else I need to get the valet key made?
On another note...Is there any alternative getting my OEM fob fixed somehow, somewhere other than buying a new $450 fob at the dealership?
Do you know of anyone who does that kind of thing?
Thankyou

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,962 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Tommyworx - please take a moment to read the information on the link below. It explains how to update your user profile so that your car's details and your location appear on each post below your avatar. This is good information for others to know when trying to help. It also has good information about how the forums are organized and how to use the search feature:

Find your Forum Section, Navigate & Search

Technically, it's not a "valet" key, but called a "mechanical key". Most parts departments at dealerships will order that for you when you show ID and proof of ownership (such as your tag receipt/registration). If you need a whole new SmartKey, you can still order it through parts, but most dealerships now require you to bring the car in for service so they can "program" it. For KeylessGo, the SmartKey does need to be programmed into the car. For non-KeylessGo vehicles, the SmartKey comes from MBZ ready to use, so in that case, these dealerships are just making a quick $150-$250 more by charging you for a tech to insert the key into the ignition , start the car, and say , "Yep! It works!"

Exactly what is wrong with your current SmartKey? Sometimes it can be a simple fix, other times it means getting a new key. And yes, for a new key, unless you want to trust someone "hacking" your car's electronics, the dealer is (unfortunately) the only place to get one.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would call a Benz dealership and ask what they require to be able to make you a mechanical key, and at what cost. If you have more than one dealer near you, call all of them as price may vary between dealerships. If your key fob worked electronically to lock and unlock the car before, it is probably fine as it's likely that just the battery in the trunk is dead and needs a recharge. When you do gain access to it, make sure it's an AGM type battery, and if it won't take a charge it might need replacement. If that is the case make sure to replace it with the correct AGM type battery. I don't believe connecting a charger to the starter connection would work because the starter battery is separate from the battery in the trunk. Any time you're going to park an R230 for a two month period, it's highly advised to use a battery maintainer like the CTEK to keep the battery from draining to empty while waiting for your return because the R230 has so many electronics that it will definitely drain the battery when parked for long periods. Good luck

·
Registered
GLE350 / 2017, E350 coupe / 2014, SL550 2007. Gone: SL500 / 1997
258 Posts
If you only have 1 key or need anther one, there are plenty locksmiths specialized in making key fobs. I paid (Boston area) $250 for a second key fob. It is not a keyless-go key, that would have been $350. But at the dealer that is $385 for the key plus 1 or 2 hours of labour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 SL 500 R230
255 Posts
Always good when the original poster gets back at the end with the resolution of the original problem.

Hard to beat a battery isolator on the rear battery. The 230 drains the battery pretty fast when parked and it seems this is normal.

I leave a bit of cardboard over the boot lock so it doesn't close all the way then I don't have to unlock it with the blade.

You do have to reset the windows each time (by holding the switches up for several seconds) and reactivate the ESP (by turning the wheel lock to lock) but I figure this is less hassle than connecting up a charger each time. It's also handy for working on the car.

I still might install an external charging port.

Machine Darkness Font Metal Gauge

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,962 Posts
With a good battery and charging system and nothing causing any unusual power draws at rest, you should be able to leave an R230 for at least a week without any problems. Even two week might, at the most, result in "consumers offline" until the battery recharges. The only time I have had issues with the battery after sitting a week or so was when the battery was needing to be replaced, or the alternator died. A common source of a parasitic power drain is a defective trunk latch mechanism causing the PSE pump to run continuously.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On another note, the trunk battery is constantly being drained by onboard systems so after you get the car open you need to get a quality float charger put on the trunk battery to keep it fully charged. Totally discharging it will shorten it's life span and it isn't cheap to replace.
Question: Is it necessary to put the battery tender/float charger on the acessories battery? Won't putting it on the Start battery under the hood work, too?

·
Registered
Silver 2005 SL500
128 Posts
Question: Is it necessary to put the battery tender/float charger on the acessories battery? Won't putting it on the Start battery under the hood work, too?
No it will not work! (unless the starter battery is flat!

The starter battery is just that, and only connected to the starter motor via the solenoid.

The rear consumer battery does everything else. The two batteries are isolated from each other (normally).

You need a charged consumer battery otherwise nothing will work on the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.