Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I should have known better but I just had to leave them keys in there with windows up and doors closed as I hooked the battery up in order to move the car out of the garage. As I connected the battery, I heard the locks going down and by the time I got that cable back off it was too late. This was not the first time but I have never left the keys inside the car before. I guess it is time to visit the dealer. I needed a new tumbler anyway so might as well get more keys too.:surrender: on the bright side, at least the hood is open:D

·
Registered
560 SEC
100 Posts
If you pop the chrome trim off that runs along the top of the door, fashion a coat hanger and I'll get hold of the bar that locks/unlock it.. I'd say I'd pop over and do it but I don't think you'd want to pay for a 1st class all expenses paid trip...lol

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you pop the chrome trim off that runs along the top of the door, fashion a coat hanger and I'll get hold of the bar that locks/unlock it.. I'd say I'd pop over and do it but I don't think you'd want to pay for a 1st class all expenses paid trip...lol
Thanks, but I think the 200 mile round trip X2 to Mercedes of Huntsville would be my cheapest route, I have considered breaking the front window instead of the tail light but I am going to wait on this since the car is at my place and in the garage, oh I left it in neutral of all things so I can at least push it outside tomorrow so I can have the garage space to do something else and then push it back in. It will be next week before I can make it to the dealer.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Don't brake anything.
Call AAA or a lock smith.
They Have the knows.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1983 300 SD, 1991 420 SEL, 1979 300SD
536 Posts
maybe call the dealer beforehand and see if you can fax in the docs so you only have to make one trip

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
maybe call the dealer beforehand and see if you can fax in the docs so you only have to make one trip
No, this is not allowed. I just went to MB of Valencia with Carlene this morning in fact to order a key for her car and we too live some distance from MB (76 miles) and they have known me well for 4 years and they would not allow me to email them. We had to go down today with the registration and her D/L and fill out a form, they have to take copies themselves and then they will order it. It takes 2-3 days to come in, and you have to again show up with your ID and Reg.

They were very firm about this. The key was $26.97 for one door key.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Just make sure if you're going that route make sure not to call one of those "Emergency locksmith" type places. They overcharge like crazy. Some kid tried to charge me $180 to get the keys out of my running saturn, after making me wait over an hour when his boss said it'd be 25 minutes max and would be "probably $80." I've never wanted to chew someone out more. I just handed the kid $120, told him that's all he was getting and he knew it was more than fair, and reported him to his company. He almost flipped his lid when I went back to the ATM and got another couple hundred out for the night's festivities.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all who have replied with suggestions,

I called the MB dealer in Huntsville AL, this morning, closer to me than Nashville. The parts guy quoted me $16 for each master key and $21 for a valet key. The ignition lock tumbler is $54 and the driver door handle was $240 and it would take 2 or 3 days to get here from Ft. Worth Texas.

I do not need the door handle as mine works fine so all I am going to get this time are 2 master keys, 1 valet key and the ignition lock tumbler.

Of course I have to wait until next week to get down there to order what I need because it is a 200 mile round trip and I could not make it there in time when I get off from work and mclare is right on about having Title/registration that matches my driver license or it won't happen and don't waist your time trying to get around it.

I also contacted a friend of mine from the local sheriffs department and he will stop by this evening and give it a try @ unlocking the car so we will see what happens.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,697 Posts
You might be able to fish out the old key via the hat rack after removing the first aid kit and tray.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might be able to fish out the old key via the hat rack after removing the first aid kit and tray.
That could have worked but the key is not @ 0 position but rest @ #2 so there would be no way to just pull it out of the tumbler, the rear trays are out but the trunk is locked as well.

I don't understand why the doors locked when I connected the battery, this has happened before but last time I had the windows down and keys hanging on the post in the barn but that was back before I even disassembled the interior, come to think of it, that is when I was working on the fuel pumps and filter, happened when I connected the battery after I was done.

I needed a new ignition tumbler and spare set of keys anyway.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We were able to get the 560 unlocked awhile ago. Don't know how he did it but whatever it was didn't take long at all. This is something I never want to experience again with a W126. I tried for sometime to get into the car without damaging anything to no avail and gave up. I will go next week and get new keys and a tumbler for sure.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Steve, you really should put in a keyless entry system like I did. It's not that hard, I did a write up on it some time ago.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve, you really should put in a keyless entry system like I did. It's not that hard, I did a write up on it some time ago.
Thanks mclare and that is a very detailed write-up.

I found this one from the link, I have one other item to take care of and then I will get a keyless entry system, better do it now while the interior is apart though I don't have much room left in the passenger foot well area.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
That's the exact same ont I have. I ran out of room there too and I mounted mine behind the Behr cabinet forward. I'll send you some pics. The alarm module is right there and you can tie into the lock function right there. PM me and I will tell you everything I did. I even ground my factory keys down to fit in the FOB's.

The hazards are right there to flash the lights, and the horn selector is also right there for the 'chirp'.

I even mounted the little blue "Active" LED into the top of my phone console so it's quite visible at night.

·
Registered
1981 280SE
47 Posts
Have you tried opening the car with a "similar" key? Sometimes the lock-pins stick, and can be opened really easily with almost any key....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts