Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

Odd story. I got into a scrape (literally) a few weeks back that resulted in the loss of my passenger door handle & mirror. Insurance covered it all, they replaced the door with a salvaged one and it came back looking better than when I bought it...and with a new option that wasn't there when I dropped it off!

The collision shop manager told me "MB won't sell them lock cylinders due to security issues, so I would have to go to MB with proof of ownership, order a new lock cylinder (he said they come pre-keyed) for the passenger door, they would swap it out and get me reimbursed from my insurance company."

Only one problem I said: "I never had a passenger door key lock". :confused:

I told the collision manager this and he shook his head chuckling. The previous handle was sheared off and missing so they just assumed it had a lock cylinder in it and ordered a salvage handle with lock. He gave me two options. Go ahead with the procedure above if I wanted to keep the new keyhole or he could order the proper keyless door handle, swap it out and make it like it was.

What would you do? Keep it and have a one-of-a-kind? Since I would have to foot the bill and later get reimbursed, what does a lock cylinder cost anyway? I have a sneaky feeling it's not cheap.

I am inclined to just have it put back like it was. I never really missed not having a passenger door keyhole.

Thoughts?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,796 Posts
It was there the whole time.

A dealer will get about $70 for the cylinder part. 2027602077
The part 43 highlighted was the cover that covered the key slot.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Really?! Wait. I dont mean it had one of those little plastic snow/ice insert covers. The front passenger door handle looked exactly like the rears.

So are you telling me that MB puts a fully functional lock cylinder in the door, then puts a handle over it with no hole? For what reason?

A dealer will get about $70 for the cylinder part.
Well that's not bad at all. I had visions of hundreds of dollars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts