Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some hard shifting issues with my C220 and read a few threads about the vacuum modulator and the bowden cable. I'm familiar with these 2 items since I've played with them in my W123's. However, I have not in my W202.

It seems to shift at the right times but it just upshifts hard like from 1-2, 2-3. 1-2 has been doing it for some time but 2-3 and a bit at 3-4 has slowly evolved.

I believe there is a Vac Modulator in the C220 but am not clear whether there is a Bowden Cable and if there is where it is located. I visually inspected the engine the other day but nothing jumped out at me.

As to the Vac Mod, if it is where I think it is at the tranny, its a bit tough to get to.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
ok, looks like bowden cable is underneath the shifter under the car, not in the engine compartment like the W123s. Not sure what to do with it yet so more reading.

Update:

I looked underneath by the shifter and I don't think there is a bowden cable on this model. Its a solid rod connecting the shifter to the transmission.

Update Sunday Morning:

Hallelujah!!! Found the problem!!! I was scoping out adjusting the Vac Mod. I was trying to locate it by looking for the vacuum line that goes to it. Well, what do you know. The line was disconnected!! I was actually a bit short which I think was why it came off. My indy had to mess with this when he replaced the wiring harness last fall. I replaced the line with a longer one (thanks to my stash of parts) and VIOLA!!! no more hard shifting. AND I think it also solved the starting problem.

I like it when its simple!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts