Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father usually drives the 2001 CL 600 once a week.

However, it has gotten cold, and the CL 600 stayed in the garage. Now, he tried to start the engine, and it won't start.

He believes this is because he didn't drive the car in more than two weeks, and the battery got drained.

Where is the battery of the CL 600 located? Is it located in the back trunk? Where in the back trunk?

It may need a boost, and we'll call AAA for this.

Please guide.

·
Registered
43 Posts
correct. Trunk on right side behind the manual and holding strap. Remove the panel to expose battery. If you are not driving the vehicle very much. Attach a 12 volt motorcycle maintainer/charger (about $20 at Walmart) this will be enough to keep the battery from going dead. Place it on a board in the trunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It also sounds like you need a fresh battery replacement. It usually takes over a month to drain the battery.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you are not driving the vehicle very much. Attach a 12 volt motorcycle maintainer/charger (about $20 at Walmart) this will be enough to keep the battery from going dead. Place it on a board in the trunk.
I bought a battery tender as my CL sits in the winter as well. I've never used it because I wasn't sure how to disable the trunk lights and didn't want to just leave them on. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought a battery tender as my CL sits in the winter as well. I've never used it because I wasn't sure how to disable the trunk lights and didn't want to just leave them on. Any suggestions?
I use one too and there is no need to disconnnect the trunk lights - as they go off automatically in 10 minutes.

Cheers.

·
Registered
362 Posts
thanks ifari, I didn't know that. I'll have to try it out this winter. I've let mine sit for a couple weeks without it and it was fine, but I think this method will help extend the battery life.

·
Registered
630 Posts
thanks ifari, I didn't know that. I'll have to try it out this winter. I've let mine sit for a couple weeks without it and it was fine, but I think this method will help extend the battery life.
No problem.

I've used a C-Teck charger for the last 4 winters with no trouble.
Usually I close the trunk while charging, but this year I'm leaving the trunk open.
The car was parked for a week without the charger and the battery ran down.......that really surprised me!

I have heard that these cars batteries are only good for about 3 years........not sure if that's true or not and I only park and charge her up for the winter months.

This last week I put the C-Teck on and she is back to green and fully charged again - waiting for the spring time.

Cheers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The battery tender has a small enough wire. Simply hold it up when the trunk closes on the upper side somewhere.
Trunk will close and your battery is getting 'Tendered".
Works fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts