Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
w202 1997 C230 Kompressor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car stalled a few times and thinking that may be it's time to replace the OVP Relay ! Is there any info of where the relay is in w202 1997 C230K ??

Last night, when I parked the car, the whole car is dead all in a sudden, no electricity at all for the whole car, it was kind of like the main power switch is off in the house and none of the electrical things work inside. No light, can't lock the door, can;t start the car, no headlight..... this morning, I took the ground wire off the battery and connect it again and everything is back to normal. That's one of the reason why I want to change the OVP Relay and see if the situation can improve !

Thanks for any input !

·
Registered
Mercedes C280 1997
40 Posts
Check the black "box" where the heater control valve is, plus the 38 pin connector. Seeing the car from the front, close to the firewall, left side. (well, passenger side)
Jorge

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jorge, check with the parts supplier and they confirmed that there is NO OVP Relay in my car !

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,490 Posts
Hi Thomas,

Those symptoms are not symptoms of an OVP failure. You'll still get electricity in the car (horn, lights, radio, power equipment, etc) when the OVP has failed. It is basically a surge protector for the computer that protects it from voltage spikes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jlomon, I checked with the Parts and sure about that there is no OVP Relay in my car, there must be something else replaced it in my model !

Also, my A/C console went south and I am not sure whether it is related to the electrical surge happened last time when I have no electricity at all for the car ? Well, anyway, it seems ok now after I sanded out all the rust and clean the neg terminal in the battery and all the wires there plus the grounding wire connected to the car's body !

·
Registered
Mercedes C280 1997
40 Posts
thomaslee said:
Hi Jorge, check with the parts supplier and they confirmed that there is NO OVP Relay in my car !
That is perfectly reasonable. My reply was based on my C280!
Good luck !
Jorge

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BrazBenz said:
That is perfectly reasonable. My reply was based on my C280!
Good luck !
Jorge
Thanks Jorge for your follow up !

I swab a blower regulator for the OVP Relay from the Parts' Dealer ! So, no money is lost !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loose battery connection

I had the same thing happen to me. It turned out to be a bad battery connection. I cleaned the terminals with a wire brush and coated them well and reconnected. Problem has not recurred in 20 months. I hope this is a nice cheap fix for your problem.

By the way my terminals looked nice and shiny too. I thought No-way is this my issue but that was all it was.

Jeff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cyberbronco said:
I had the same thing happen to me. It turned out to be a bad battery connection. I cleaned the terminals with a wire brush and coated them well and reconnected. Problem has not recurred in 20 months. I hope this is a nice cheap fix for your problem.

By the way my terminals looked nice and shiny too. I thought No-way is this my issue but that was all it was.

Jeff
Hi Cyberbronco ! Nice to hear that your car is fine now !!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts