Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300TDt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yesterday my cigar hose started leaking quite a bit. In springfield there isnt much of a selection of parts houses besides Orielly's and the Stealer. Basically I need this part asap and I'm having trouble locating one online near me. Any tips on what to look for? and If I have to order a new cigar hose can normal hose work in the interim?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Size 5/16" ID Hose.
Just regular Fuel Hose will work because it is rated for use with Diesel Fuel SAE 30R7.

If you are going to use Biodiesel of another alternate Fuel Fuel Injection Hose is lined with a material that is claimed to be the same as Viton; Fuel Injection Hose SAE J30R9 or 30R90.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Does anyone know why they designed this cigar hose to be tapered at the ends? I am sure there is a practical reason for it.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Does anyone know why they designed this cigar hose to be tapered at the ends? I am sure there is a practical reason for it.
From what I have read on the various Forums there is a lot of pulsation of the Fuel. That pulsation can cause a regular Hose to flex; during the flexing it is possible for it to make a thumping noise.
However, I have also read of people just using regular Fuel Hose and not having it cause any noise. Regular Fuel Hose is $1-$1.50 a foot compared to the Cigar Hose at $11 or more.

If someone is worried that not using the Cigar Hose might cause noise; try the Fuel Injection Hose at around $3 per foot. It is thicker and stiffer because it was made to handle a higher pressure.

In any event if you Cigar Hose is leaking for about $1 you can replace it with regular Hose (with a leak you can easily lose more the $1 of fuel) and it will buy you time order the Cigar Hose if you want one.

·
Registered
1984 300TDt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea since im a broke bastard 99% of the time I'm having to wait till payday to even buy the 1.00 patch piece until the replacement can be ordered and come in.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the hose smooths out the pulsation(as was mentioned) and this helps to cut down on metal fatigue on the metal return line...

·
Registered
1984 300TDt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea you could see the pulsation in my cigar hose. I've known this needed replacement for a while after inspection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts