Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG Mod'd
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the charcoal canister valve and have no idea where it is on the car.

Part 000 476 70 32

They might call it s shut off, or purge valve for vapour canister. 1 half inch tube it and a electrical connector.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I presume you are asking about your W208, but it's not listed on your profile.

The purge control valve (Y58/1) is located in the engine bay, on the left wheelhousing.

It will have 2 small tubes going to: A. the activated charcoal canister. B. the engine - marked MOT on the valve.

Plus a small connector with a cable going to the ME-SFI control unit. With the engine running you can usually feel a slight vibration at the unit.

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG Mod'd
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet baby jesus thank you. I also just found that I have a seized calliper and ballooning coolant hose and I am 1800km from home... How is the UK? I am trapped here in North Carolina and its almost 40c. I live in Canada... god I would love UK weather .

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I also just found that I have a seized calliper and ballooning coolant hose and I am 1800km from home...
Last time I had that it was caused by a semi-blocked radiator. Maybe you could use what we call here 'Jubilee clips' to prevent further expansion of the hose. Keep your speed down and you could make it back...:)

How is the UK? I am trapped here in North Carolina and its almost 40c. I live in Canada... god I would love UK weather.
lol! - UK is fine, but our economy seems a bit shot right now...I'm sure it will come right eventually, once the Euro collapses and all the countries go back to their original currencies! The UK weather is generally quite moderate - neither too hot or too cold. It's 25C this week :)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
There is also a purge/check valve atop the vapor canister itself, item 57 in the EPC drawing below, and that is the one that correlates to the part number you posted. The one under the hood (#68 in the drawing) MB calls a regeneration valve (though it's also known as a purge valve) and that is PN 0004701593, superseded by 0004703593.

Typically the canister is back behind one of the wheels, from the drawing I'd guess near the left side rear wheel. Pull the plastic well liner to find it.

Good luck to you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Mm...curious.

I thought of that one - but the OP mentioned a connector. I think that Item #57 is a simple mechanical check valve.

We need clarification here...:)

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Ref canister location on W208, my WIS drawing below is a tad confusing here...

Text says " in rear right wheelhousing" - presumably behind the removable fender liner. On drawing of W208.4 cabrio the arrow is pointing at the rear left wheelhousing...:confused:

As a matter of interest, this canister is not fitted to my Euro CLK - it has to be a US emission requirement.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG Mod'd
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rad

haaa i was doing 90-100mph for 10hrs at a time. The Canadian economy is kicking ass considering our neighbours are up the creek because they all needed 80k SUVs and gold chains. The rad hoses are mint except the one leading to the heater pump, it has a blister.

Last time I had that it was caused by a semi-blocked radiator. Maybe you could use what we call here 'Jubilee clips' to prevent further expansion of the hose. Keep your speed down and you could make it back...:)

lol! - UK is fine, but our economy seems a bit shot right now...I'm sure it will come right eventually, once the Euro collapses and all the countries go back to their original currencies! The UK weather is generally quite moderate - neither too hot or too cold. It's 25C this week :)

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG Mod'd
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is also a purge/check valve atop the vapor canister itself, item 57 in the EPC drawing below, and that is the one that correlates to the part number you posted. The one under the hood (#68 in the drawing) MB calls a regeneration valve (though it's also known as a purge valve) and that is PN 0004701593, superseded by 0004703593.

Typically the canister is back behind one of the wheels, from the drawing I'd guess near the left side rear wheel. Pull the plastic well liner to find it.

Good luck to you.
It is number 57 on the chart, the guys at MB Ottawa said it was the right hand side I said left but they insisted... well I have to change that hose tomorrow and I have to remove the belt and fan to get at it.... lord shoot me now.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
It is number 57 on the chart, the guys at MB Ottawa said it was the right hand side I said left but they insisted... well I have to change that hose tomorrow and I have to remove the belt and fan to get at it.... lord shoot me now.
It's always hard to tell from those drawings. Key thought it was the right as well based on the pdf he posted.

Either way it's not too much trouble to get the liner out and this way you can inspect your brakes. Heck, may as well clean the inner side of the hub of all the accumulated crud to ensure the proper ABS function. ;)

Good luck with the hose!

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG Mod'd
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's always hard to tell from those drawings. Key thought it was the right as well based on the pdf he posted.

Either way it's not too much trouble to get the liner out and this way you can inspect your brakes. Heck, may as well clean the inner side of the hub of all the accumulated crud to ensure the proper ABS function. ;)

Good luck with the hose!
Well as for the heater supply hose coming from the water pump to the electric pump, after breaking our knuckles and buying a thin 36mm wrench that still could not remove the fan, we discovered that the tube could be undone from underneath the car. My coolant was weak, maybe original? Hose was replaced and oil changed. I found out that Canadian Tire did not screw the filter to the proper depth something that is explicit in the Mann filter instructions. See instructions you maybe shocked.
I will open up the fender tomorrow, I did bleed all the brakes and added DOT 4 fluid.
I would like to change the other 3 hubs.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
All I can think is that the canister is re-located on the other side for the cabrio (208.4) because some parts of the folding roof mechanism need that space... :confused:

·
Registered
2002 CLK320 convertible, 50K miles, ex. flood vehicle
7 Posts
The charcoal canister and air check valve are located up under the drivers side rear wheel liner. You will need to pull the tire, then unscrew 4-5 retainers, pull off the liner and look up under the rear of the fender.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts