Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SL500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2005 500SL, the red Load Assist Button in the trunk does not light up or temporarily lift the retracted roof. I have replaced fuse F11( which was blown), I cannot locate a separate fuse for this button. Does anyone know what fuse is dedicated to this button? I have tried searching the forum (Carriage Raise)and Google.

·
Registered
2005 SL500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it is not the fuse does anyone have any experience with this button. I do have the trunk raised completely.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine didn't work when I got my car either. Apparently sometimes the button fails and needs to be replaced.

I pulled mine to test it and realized it wasn't plugged in! Not sure if someone disconnected it, or work was done near the trunk latch and the plug got pulled off of the switch by accident.

Does your button ever light up? If not, it is disconnected.

Check that first and see if the button works. I would actually disconnect the button and test it with a voltmeter before going further.

·
Registered
2005 SL500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip, my light does not light up. Did you have to remove all the trim or did the button pop out?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had the service DVD pages printed out, but from memory it was just a few press-fit plastic fasteners, and a few T20(I think) Torx screws around the trunk latch.

If you look at the trunk latch, the plastic piece that goes over it (runs the width of the trunk opening) needs to come off.

That light should light up if everything is good and the system is operational (trunk separator closed, etc.)

Let me know if that works. If not, I can check my car tomorrow and let you know whether the light is on/off in certain scenarios (trunk open all the way, not open all the way, trunk separator open, separator closed) so you know whether yours does the same thing in all of those cases.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wow.. definitely surprised to hear that the same thing happened to someone else!

I suspect the wiring harness is slightly exposed, so maybe when we load the trunk, something hooks on the wire (ie. golf club handle) and pulls the connector off.

Or, maybe the connector is coming off somehow all by itself (vibration, loose connector, gravity, etc.)

In any case, good to hear that was the problem!

·
Registered
1988 190E (SOLD); 2003 CLK350 (Sold); 2007 SL550 (Sold); 2010 GLK350 (SOLD); 2013 ML550; 2013 SL550
8 Posts
Long live the internet Forum

I just brought back my SL550 with exactly the same problem. 1 Torx screw, 1 fastner and 4 minutes was all it took to find out that my button also was not plugged in. Quick fix and all is now working fine again. Thank you all very much.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am starting to wonder if some issues of the R230 are common across most or all of the cars.

I have now heard of 3 cases (including my own) where this has happened. I guess the previous owner could have disconnected it, but it's starting to become more common with other people reporting the same thing....

Also was trying to fix my massage seat (lumbar and other bolsters that 'pulse'). Went into DAS and that function was set to "NOT PRESENT" from the factory. Changed it and everything started working!

Again, the previous owner could have had it disabled for some reason, but it seems weird. I wonder if something turned off the seat function somehow. Have also heard of one other person who found this exact same thing... too many to be a coincidence!

Lesson here is check the simple stuff first. Make sure it's plugged in and turned on before you start replacing parts or getting more complex in your diagnosis!

·
Registered
'06 E500, '99 ML430 & '07 SL65 AMG
648 Posts
Being somewhat new to the R230, I have to ask what the expected behavior is for an '07 model. Reading this thread I understand that you will have to push the load assist button to get the folded roof to raise?

That is not what happens in my car. When the roof is folded and I open the trunk the roof raises by itself. In fact, when I push the load assist button, nothing happens. Is that expected?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like your load assist button is sticking.

This is how it works:
1. Open the trunk lid ALL the way. Seriously, push it up more than the gas struts do. You'll actually hear a click as the microswitches close to tell the system the trunk is open. If you don't open all the way, the next step won't work.

2. Push the load assist button and the folded roof should raise. The roof should NOT be raised before you push the buton.

3. Push the button again and the folded roof will go back down.

4. Close the trunk lid.

If you have anything different happen, something is wrong with your system.

·
Registered
'06 E500, '99 ML430 & '07 SL65 AMG
648 Posts
I looked at the button and it was disconnected. However, with the roof down and opening the trunk the roof still raises. The difference is that I can rise and lower the roof with the trunk open. I can honestly not see the benefit of the button as you would most likely want the roof raised when opening the trunk?

My thinking is that maybe this is a programmable function by the dealer to always have the roof to raise when opening the trunk?

·
Registered
2011 SL550, 2012 E550 Cabriolet
83 Posts
I looked at the button and it was disconnected. However, with the roof down and opening the trunk the roof still raises. The difference is that I can rise and lower the roof with the trunk open. I can honestly not see the benefit of the button as you would most likely want the roof raised when opening the trunk?

My thinking is that maybe this is a programmable function by the dealer to always have the roof to raise when opening the trunk?
I agree with you. My 2011 raises the retracted top when opening the trunk too without having to push the button. If you open the trunk, one would assume that you're putting something in or taking something out so common sense dictates that it should raise when the trunk is opened.

·
Registered
2005 SL500 sportline
5 Posts
trunk assist harness wire plug in...where?

Mine didn't work when I got my car either. Apparently sometimes the button fails and needs to be replaced.

I pulled mine to test it and realized it wasn't plugged in! Not sure if someone disconnected it, or work was done near the trunk latch and the plug got pulled off of the switch by accident.

Does your button ever light up? If not, it is disconnected.

Check that first and see if the button works. I would actually disconnect the button and test it with a voltmeter before going further.
I am having this issue as well. I noticed that all the rubber under the right side of the hinge was falling off and the wire got caught somewhere and unplugged. I took it to MB and the required tech was off and they told me they would need a couple of hours to look at it. Yikes.....then I realized you guys on this forum would probably know the answer. I opened the roof half way to see what I could see and I noticed that the two "screws" that hold the rubber in place had fallen off, so first I need to know what kind of screws to use to attach it back and second, where on earth the the wire plug into??? If need be I can send you a picture, just let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
We do need more info on what wire has come out.. The main reason for the load assist not to work is where one of the gas struts have failed and the boot lid is not fully open.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
the folded roof cannot be raised unless the trunk is FULLY open,

sagged trunk shocks that have leaked pressure over time, will cause the trunk to be harder to raise, and erect, and will not allow it to go to full open position unassisted.

Give it a push by hand, untill fully open in almost 90 degrees with the car, and see if the folder top button operates, if it does, replace both trunk shocks (about 100 bucks)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts