Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on 30 acres in the Mojave and I've had mice get inside my car and trunk and under my hood! I almost had a wreck last week when I pulled down my sunvisor and dog food fell out into my lap!

Got home and moved the dog's dish up on the porch instead of down by the drive/cars but it's an ongoing problem living out here.

Other than traps in my car (ugh!) any suggestions to keep them out?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I have seen a recommendation for mothballs to keep various vermin out. But you probably don't want those anywhere inside the car. I had house mice and there's a neat battery powered trap I bought at Wally. It takes several D batteries and some bait (I used peanut butter). It zaps them without the blood/guts mess you get with the traditional traps. I think it was about $20 and those do an excellent job.

·
Registered
gotta catch em all
34 Posts
Please no poison - secondary contact could harm your dog.

Remove food source and seal car as best you can and traps are recommended.

·
Registered
2000 E320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would never use any poison around my house/animals. The only "food" source is my outside ranch dog, Tinker's food, and we keep her food in a large food storage container with a screw-on lid.

If she doesn't finish her kibble, the mice must get it at night, and hide it ... that's how it got inside my car ... so we moved her food bowl up on the porch away from her dog house, which was close to the cars.

I have heard of using moth balls, but they are poisonous too.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Throw a cat under the hood, but you will have to remove it before starting. (OK I had to say it)I live in Florida on the upper level of a two story garage, they got under the hood and ate all the labels off the wiring harness to make a nest, and imported all kinds of leaves and grass it took me forever to clean it. The car is only driven every month or so and still cant figure out how they got in there. I have a friend who somehow got a chipmunk into the heater, you dont want to kill it just get it out.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
The title threw me off I thought we were talking about a new Burning Man Concert. Anyways my friends e420 got chewed out completely they ate the headlight washer hoses, brake res, some electrical cabling near the brake res, my buddy didn't have the under shield so..munch munch munch. He ended up hunting them down like well, vermin. He used his dogs to kill the rats and he smashed the last surviving one behind a washing machine it managed to hide behind. I think the moral is that they have rat traps at harbor freight get some of those and chill out. Dont worry about the humane treatment of these rodents humans sentence other humans to die so to be humane is really to feel guilty afterwards. Good luck

·
Registered
1999 E320 4matic (owned previously); 1996 SL500
674 Posts
You can use those high frequency sound wave devices to keep them away. But you do need 110 Volts to use it (run an extension cord to your car).

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,723 Posts
Per my experience all those sound repellents are only separating the buyers from their money. Living in the woods I have rats dining on my engines all the time. They have to be attracted by the heat, because all engines will have droppings and food shells the following day after the washing.
In OP situation it is quite easy to figure out that securing food sources will help in driving rodents away from his property. Per my experience if you let the rodents to get under your house, -you will have them everywhere.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
392 Posts
I remember one time my car was in the shop. My child left a McDonalds bag on the back seat. The car was left over night. When I came back the next day, the bag was all chewed up and the was a hole in my seat. The mouse ate through the bag and ate some of my leather too. The shop paid to repair the damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts