Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
W220 S320 petrol 2002
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow will be replacing the conductor plate along with the fluid and filter in my 5 speed transmission and after reading all the info available on the encyclopedia I am still unsure about one thing. Is this little plunger that needs to be engaged when the plate goes back on the tranny. If anyone can shed some light I will be grateful.

From Transmission DIY Conductor Plate.pdf

Now install the valve body. Again be careful because it is heavy. This is actually the most challenging part for
me. Starting the first two screws is not easy because it is heavy. Anyway, play with it and eventually you will get
it done. These screws are also torqued to 8 Nm. Here is one thing that is extremely important but you will see
when you have the valve body out. There is actually only one physical connection from the shifter to the
transmission because all gears are controlled electronically. You need to engage this or the transmission would
not shift and you would have to remove the pan and valve body again. This connection is to the rear on the
driver side. On the valve body, there is a plunger and you need to hook that into a horizontal pin in the
transmission. You can see that on the second picture, lower-right. It is the yellow plastic thing that has a slot.
In that picture, you can move the yellow slot left or right and that is the only mechanical linkage from the
outside. I bet one motion is for the five (5) forward gears and another motion is for reverse gears (there are
two).

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
When mating the valve body to the transmission, the plastic linkage needs to be aligned. Don't put the pan on without the link installed! Be careful when removing and installing the valve body to avoid breaking this linkage. Forum members have broken the link and had a very bad day.

Ensure that you follow torque recommendations on reassembly.

Also, when the valve body is removed, do not turn it upside down. Keep it level, it has internal check valves.

Think surgical cleanliness when doing this job. The valve passages and ball check valves are very small and can become clogged.

If you have a limp home mode error code, it cannot be reset by a handheld scanner. You will have to drive slowly to an indie for a TCU reset.

Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts