Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
none yet..
2 Posts
still a good buy?

Hello Everyone

I am hoping to find and purchase an 2002 - 2004 SLK 32 AMG. These seem to be loads of fun and as I am in my mid-40s I will be using the excuse of it being my midlife crisis toy.

Are these still a good buy or have things moved on to the point where the time, effort and money make owning one less than worthwhile.

I note that this thread is a little old, but I am hoping some of the helpful voices are still out there and taking an interest :grin

Thanks for all the useful info...

·
Registered
2003 SLK230 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Firemist Red
1,395 Posts
Go for it. Have a qualified mechanic or dealer perform a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection). If there are significant problems, you can get estimates, have seller to fix, subtract estimates from your target price, or walk away. Pay less than the Kelley Blue Book or Nada wholesale value. Low mileage is your biggest value added property.

The SLK 32 AMG is pretty much a SLK supercar. From what I have read on this forum, it has some of it’s own quirks like any high performance car does. At the end of the day it is a Mercedes SLK. Like all luxury cars, the cost of repair is higher than your economy car. The cost is not at all outrageous like the super expensive exotics. If you are a descent mechanic, with help from this forum, you can do most of your work yourself. Used and alternative high quality low cost non-OEM parts have proliferated on eBay.
Let us know how it goes. Welcome aboard in advance.

·
Registered
none yet..
2 Posts
Go for it. Have a qualified mechanic or dealer perform a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection). If there are significant problems, you can get estimates, have seller to fix, subtract estimates from your target price, or walk away. Pay less than the Kelley Blue Book or Nada wholesale value. Low mileage is your biggest value added property.

The SLK 32 AMG is pretty much a SLK supercar. From what I have read on this forum, it has some of it’s own quirks like any high performance car does. At the end of the day it is a Mercedes SLK. Like all luxury cars, the cost of repair is higher than your economy car. The cost is not at all outrageous like the super expensive exotics. If you are a descent mechanic, with help from this forum, you can do most of your work yourself. Used and alternative high quality low cost non-OEM parts have proliferated on eBay.
Let us know how it goes. Welcome aboard in advance.
Thanks, DecoThom!!

I went to check out a Black R170 (2002) SLK32 AMG and a Red R171 (2005) SLK 350 today.

While the R171 was a little sexier and more modern in many ways, there was a distinct difference in how more 'together' the AMG sounded when running.
It could just have been me hearing what I wanted to hear, though... (the R171 had that worn belt/ worn-out pump squeak when running that I recall from my old tank of a first car LOL).

Thanks again for all the good advice. I will let you know how it goes and hopefully be able to steer my way through the problems that has been identified here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
lower arm bushing

I just purchased a used 98slk230 and I hear a noise that sounds like rubbing as the wheel rotates. Especially when I brake but also as I accelerate from a stop. I thought it may be brakes but all my brakes pads have over 3/4 life left. Maybe rotors? Any ideas?
My fog lights are also out of service. I have replaced the bulbs and checked the fuse that is located on the drivers side behind the door. Everything is fine. Is there a relay somewhere on the car that may need to be replaced?

are these common problems? I have read about fog lights staying on but not fog lights not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I all im from malaysia, my name khairi.. im user w201 190e 2.6L Noob user.. i thing wan to install new engine & gear to my w201 190e to SLK 230 R170 set..

SLK 230 is the best engine if i use?? I find 2.0L or 2.3L for my w201.

This photo from halfcut

21 - 26 of 26 Posts