Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quickly, yes I know there is another thread about this but rather than hope someone wades through to pick out the items that need to be fixed, I thought I would just list them here so the Moderators could provide the feedback to the Administrator(s). (The initial splash screen said to route suggestions to the Mods who would pass them on so here goes).
So to sum up so far:
  • search function doesn't work well
  • too much white/wasted space
  • no indication of what the most recent reply has been and by whom unless you open the thread. FIXED 9/5/ Thanks Jayare and the Admins.
  • no classic view
  • difficult to tell if a thread had already been read or not. (they must have attempted to fix this because while its better, it still isn't good.) I consider this FIXED Thanks
  • full signatures not shown. (but there is all that white space?)
  • Forum member categories are gone. ex: 4500 posts but categorized as "Registered"?
  • Ad space takes up 50% of the screen - 40% by white space and 10% is ....content? What is the long term viability of a forum that doesn't value the content? tick, tick, tick, tick
  • The car owned by a member is no longer provided with their avatar. We don't know which car they are posting about unless they specifically state the year and model. The old forum software provided this information. How can we easily help someone? Where did this information go?

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
I agree on the member's car(s) information....it should have that like before. Give us more visible info on the members.

The white background is my biggest beef. Since I'm a lifetime member, I have a sea of white (no ads). When I'm writing and I want to italicize something for example, highlighting blends in almost completely with the white background and I can't see what I'm trying to do.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
yeah, the highlighting thing is my biggest grief. that should be a simple tweak of the CSS... hmm, my domain inspector suggests its this element in the CSS...
.fr-wrapper ::selection { background: #f0f3f5; ...
and changing that to something like the bluegrey #c8d1ec is a big improvement.

In many ways I like the simpler cleaner layout of Xen over the way-too busy boxes of boxes layout of vBB, but it is missing a bunch of critical info like the users profile stuff of interest to a car support forum like this.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something I am just starting to notice is that some ads come off looking almost as if they are a reply to a thread. I noticed one from Autohauz. The word Autohauz was in the same position as the screen name would be if it was a reply and it was the same color blue. First off that's a little confusing and second, if the Admins really want to drive visibility of ads it should look distinctly different from a thread response; no?

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
i run ad blocking software in my browser, specifically, ublock origin. i see very little of the ad crap noise adorning most web pages, and when I'm on a platform without it, I'm shocked how useless and awful so many sites are.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you running? I tried a couple of products recommended by some others on this site and while they did block ads, the trade off was that they slowed the process significantly.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The white background is my biggest beef. Since I'm a lifetime member, I have a sea of white (no ads). When I'm writing and I want to italicize something for example, highlighting blends in almost completely with the white background and I can't see what I'm trying to do.

Kevin
New forum software is garbage. My biggest gripe is that they've sandbagged the desktop version of the site with a mobile skin which is complete BS. Unless there's something I'm unaware of (very possible) only benefit I can imagine is that it might streamline coding. My solution to make it somewhat bearable is to use dark mode and up the sizing 120%. Lessens the huge expanse of negative space a fair amount.

The recent posts column being gone sucks too. I'd explore the forum a bit in areas I'd typically not venture if there was an interesting looking thread title or post. Not anymore. Less clicks from me.

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
Best way to speed up the site is to block the ads with a hardware based filter, such as Pi Hole. I'm still using a Adtrap, a defunct company, but still works fine.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the suggestions vis a vis ad blockers. The thing for me is not the ads its the time it takes to load. This was a big problem for me before they changed platforms but the response time is much faster now. If I have to trade off process time for an ad blocker I'll take the ads. Some of them are entertaining.

One more comment on this site leaning more towards mobile is that you won't get as many text rich posts from mobile users. Kids today are in the 256 or less character mode. Good luck obtaining in depth R&R procedures from a mobile user.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
One more comment on this site leaning more towards mobile is that you won't get as many text rich posts from mobile users. Kids today are in the 256 or less character mode. Good luck obtaining in depth R&R procedures from a mobile user.
Only time I view forums on mobile is if I'm researching something when I'm out and about or need info while I'm actively working on a project. I can't stress how much of a boneheaded move it is to impose the limitations of mobile browsing on desktop users.

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
Don't tell the millennial's and gen Z's that desktops can out perform their little iPhone's et al and pads. It's all about convenience and carrying the 'power' of working the Net in your pocket. Make everything for and about those convenience items is a mistake of great magnitude.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
Real1shepherd
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing