Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK230 Kompressor
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My vehicle is in Limphome mode (only 2nd gear and reverse), gear indicator which is in dash gauges is black, when you put gear in D or R there is a clunk sound

and there are following error codes ;

P0705, Powertrain transmission range sensor circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)
I did not spill any fluid on gear shifter.
I got this code about month ago, vehicle was parked under sun for 3 days and when I jump in it was in Limphome mode, I cleared the code and everything was perfect till 4 days ago. I parked car under sun for 3 hours and after that I have this code and car in Limphome mode, I cleared code several times but it comes back again also Check Engine Light lid if ECU reads this error 3 times.
Btw, it is about 38c degree under sun!!!

P200F Powertrain
(I dont know What is this)

P2040, Powertrain reductant injection air pressure sensor circuit high input
(I dont know What is this)

Do you have any idea before I visit stealer?

Cheers

Ali

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Hi all,

My vehicle is in Limphome mode (only 2nd gear and reverse), gear indicator which is in dash gauges is black, when you put gear in D or R there is a clunk sound

and there are following error codes ;

P0705, Powertrain transmission range sensor circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)
I did not spill any fluid on gear shifter.
Well, the code points to your shifter module not operating correctly. Since it is an electronic unit, high temperature may impact it, e.g. a small crack in a circuit may open up when the unit heats up.

A much smaller likelihood, but not one to be completely ignore is a leaking transmission connector. This will allow fluid to wick up to the transmission control module (TCM). Once again, the high temperature may cause the fluid to expand and temporarily short out circuits on the board. Always worthwhile to inspect in any case, since the connectors all seems to develop a leak at some stage. It's also a much cheaper replacement that the shifter module.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230 Kompressor
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the code points to your shifter module not operating correctly. Since it is an electronic unit, high temperature may impact it, e.g. a small crack in a circuit may open up when the unit heats up.

A much smaller likelihood, but not one to be completely ignore is a leaking transmission connector. This will allow fluid to wick up to the transmission control module (TCM). Once again, the high temperature may cause the fluid to expand and temporarily short out circuits on the board. Always worthwhile to inspect in any case, since the connectors all seems to develop a leak at some stage. It's also a much cheaper replacement that the shifter module.
Hello,

Thanx for reply.

I already checked TCM and its connectors they are all dry, there is no oil ar any other fluid.

I also check under the vehicle but there is no oil leak.

I think, shifter module plays game with me.

Is it possible to disassembly shifter module for reparing, cleaning insinde? Is It worth to try?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Hello,

Thanx for reply.

I already checked TCM and its connectors they are all dry, there is no oil ar any other fluid.

I also check under the vehicle but there is no oil leak.

I think, shifter module plays game with me.

Is it possible to disassembly shifter module for reparing, cleaning insinde? Is It worth to try?
Yes, check in the W210 forum. Only use MAF cleaner (or other non-residual cleaner) to clean it with. Probably worth a try since something might have been spilt at some time.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230 Kompressor
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, check in the W210 forum. Only use MAF cleaner (or other non-residual cleaner) to clean it with. Probably worth a try since something might have been spilt at some time.
Hello Kobus,

I removed gear shifter module (btw not easy work), opened and checked inside for if there is any moisture or some kind of fluid but no thing.

sprayed electric contact cleaner every part let them dry and install again.

still I have same fault codes and CEL light after 3 repeat of P0705

I have no other chance and I will visit local stealer :surrender:

btw what is the "Reductant injection air pressure sensor" where it is located on the engine?

wish someone can help here

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK230 Kompressor
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a two electronic plate (connected each other) in the shifter module which has a seperate part number on it but I forgot to write down the number on it :crybaby2:

It is really pain to disassembly it again for taking a part number.

I also think that may be a fault code (at least P2040) is a "hard code" and need dealer reset.

I Will see when I visit dealer.

·
52,804 Posts
There is a two electronic plate (connected each other) in the shifter module which has a seperate part number on it but I forgot to write down the number on it :crybaby2:

It is really pain to disassembly it again for taking a part number.

I also think that may be a fault code (at least P2040) is a "hard code" and need dealer reset.

I Will see when I visit dealer.
You cannot buy that part anyway, you have to buy the whole ESM.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230 Kompressor
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You cannot buy that part anyway, you have to buy the whole ESM.
I can buy cheap used with warranty and replace that part, other mercedes models also have similar shifter module and there is a chance to have same internal electronic part. I can easily find C, E, CLK parts easily in Cyprus.

·
52,804 Posts
I can buy cheap used with warranty and replace that part, other mercedes models also have similar shifter module and there is a chance to have same internal electronic part. I can easily find C, E, CLK parts easily in Cyprus.
Yup it is worth a try:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 SLK230 Kompressor
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Goodmorning,

I clear codes but they appear again as soon as I turn on key 2nd position even not touching gear shifter

According other posts in the forum, if you have fault code which is stored in TCU only MB dealer can reset / clear otherwise it appear again even you repaired fault.

Is this true ?

·
Registered
2002 SLK230 Kompressor
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"According other posts in the forum, if you have fault code which is stored in TCU only MB dealer can reset / clear otherwise it appear again even you repaired fault."

Would someone answer this?

Btw I disconnected negative cable for two days

But nothing changed. Code P2040 appear again after I turn engine on also other two fault codes.

Vehicle is still at Limphome mode...

·
52,804 Posts
"According other posts in the forum, if you have fault code which is stored in TCU only MB dealer can reset / clear otherwise it appear again even you repaired fault."

Would someone answer this?

Btw I disconnected negative cable for two days

But nothing changed. Code P2040 appear again after I turn engine on also other two fault codes.

Vehicle is still at Limphome mode...
It does not need SDS at the dealers to clear the fault codes. But simply disconnecting the battery will not help. Clear the codes with test equipment and if the code comes back then the fault is not repaired.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts