Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 1999 e320 the day of ran just fine and also the next, the 3rd day it doesn’t shift out of 1st seems like. They guy I purchased it from said it’s done it to him before and he just put trans fluid in and it was just fine but mine thing is I’m not sure to as if that’s really the problem you know?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,411 Posts
Welcome JayHerv,

If it were that simple.
The previous owner is going to tell you any story to get rid of you. He got his money.
You're best to scan for any (transmission) codes and post here.
Have you done any inspection or inspection reports, prior to purchasing?
Of the top of my head, Shift module could be faulty? Any apparent liquid spillage in the center console area?
Could be a few other issues too.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,492 Posts
Educate yourself about Pilot Bushing on those cars.
99% chance you bought the car with leaky bushing what creates several kinds for contamination. If you have soft limp, that resets with ignition cycling, cleaning the plug, new bushing, checking TCU for contamination and with $40 cost you'll be back on the road.
If you have hard limp - it will take SD to reset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome JayHerv,

If it were that simple.
The previous owner is going to tell you any story to get rid of you. He got his money.
You're best to scan for any (transmission) codes and post here.
Have you done any inspection or inspection reports, prior to purchasing?
Of the top of my head, Shift module could be faulty? Any apparent liquid spillage in the center console area?
Could be a few other issues too.

It came with with inspection papers but nothing about the trans and I’m honestly not sure if he’s ever spilled anything about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Educate yourself about Pilot Bushing on those cars.
99% chance you bought the car with leaky bushing what creates several kinds for contamination. If you have soft limp, that resets with ignition cycling, cleaning the plug, new bushing, checking TCU for contamination and with $40 cost you'll be back on the road.
If you have hard limp - it will take SD to reset.
I’m pretty sure it’s hard because for a while it Done 40-55 just fine thenlater today it just barely wants to do 20....so what’s SD?

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
Check under the car to see if there is a transmission fluid (ATF) leak. One does not need to add ATF, if there is no leak. The transmission does not "consume" ATF.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes E320(V6) Base
54 Posts
Recently purchased a 1999 e320 the day of ran just fine and also the next, the 3rd day it doesn’t shift out of 1st seems like. They guy I purchased it from said it’s done it to him before and he just put trans fluid in and it was just fine but mine thing is I’m not sure to as if that’s really the problem you know?
When you say it will not shift after 1st gear, have you tried shutting the car off and restart it and see if it allows you to shift out of first?

This is perhaps too early to tell you that a broken spring in the valve body could be the cause. I encountered a similar issue in my car and at first, I changed the transmission connector adapter since those are known for having oil in them and also cleaned the TCM, I still encountered the shifting issue. I then proceeded to do a transmission fluid flush, again I still encountered the shifting issue. I then went ahead and changed the spring in the valve body and I found the spring broken in two places so that is a possible cause.
Broken spring fix

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check under the car to see if there is a transmission fluid (ATF) leak. One does not need to add ATF, if there is no leak. The transmission does not "consume" ATF.
I checked and it’s most definitely leaking

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
If it is leaking in front of the transmission pan (towards the front bumper), it is the transmission plug adapter (pilot bushing) . If it is leaking at the opposite end, it could be the busted Parking lock interlock lever (PLIL). You usually get some leak after you park the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so now I’m asking the question...would that definitely be hard limp and would it really have to be rest?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts