Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..I've been on every Benz site I can find..joined, posted and nobody seems to know jack. So maybe you guys might be able to help. I have a 2005 CLK320 convertible..the car was given to me by a sweet lady who died of breast cancer so I have to make it right. We drove it back to Mo. from Fl. and thank God we made it. So her is my problem...it starts and runs great transmission changes gears right on time, even the manuel side 1 2 3 4 D works great. No problems when it is running, but when you turn it off and come back to start..if there is no P and S in the display...your in limp. You can fool with it and it might work and it might not........ No P and S on display...no work. Turn it off come back later it might work. I just bought a new battery, tran. fluid is full, 13 pin connector is clear of fluid. I'm thinking shift module. Does this sound like it could be that. I a'm ready to drop tran bottom and replace conductor plate next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don Akers.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,368 Posts
Welcome Music Man 2019, :)

You've thrown alot of parts at this?. Have you scanned for any saved codes?
Best invest in a decent scanner or borrow one and post the codes here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Khomer2, got one coming, it's not a high dollar one, but says it does motor and trany codes. This is a nice car and my Wife is wanting to drive it..so I got to get it going. I will post codes soon...Thanks, Don Akers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Music Man 2019, :)

You've thrown alot of parts at this?. Have you scanned for any saved codes?
Best invest in a decent scanner or borrow one and post the codes here.
Khomer2, I got the OBD2 today and here are the codes I think this is my problem P0705 Rang sensor A circuit ( is that located in the shift module )? P0400 ERG A flow and... Serial communication link P0600...? The reader has a freeze view, and I have it sored. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much...Don.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,368 Posts
You have a new battery, low voltage shouldnt be an issue.

P0600 P0705 is related directly to the shifter module - any recent fluid spills on the centre console? or maybe from rain thru the sunroof?
You can try to cleanup the module which takes spraying with MAF cleaner or electrical circuit cleaner - you can use a hair dryer blower on the NO HEAT setting to speed things up. No HEAT otherwise you crystalize any leftover sugar/sticky crap that leaked into the centre console area. If this doesnt work, may require a tranny shifter module replacement to get ALL the displays working correctly. Similar issue on our w202 - just lazy right now to replace it.
You will need to clear the codes when cleaned up to recheck or if you need to replace it.
EDIT: make sure you have a good scanner that can erase codes at the TCM.

P0400
your egr valve - probably needs a good cleaning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have a new battery, low voltage shouldnt be an issue.

P0600 P0705 is related directly to the shifter module - any recent fluid spills on the centre console? or maybe from rain thru the sunroof?
You can try to cleanup the module which takes spraying with MAF cleaner or electrical circuit cleaner - you can use a hair dryer blower on the NO HEAT setting to speed things up. No HEAT otherwise you crystalize any leftover sugar/sticky crap that leaked into the centre console area. If this doesnt work, may require a tranny shifter module replacement to get ALL the displays working correctly. Similar issue on our w202 - just lazy right now to replace it.
You will need to clear the codes when cleaned up to recheck or if you need to replace it.
EDIT: make sure you have a good scanner that can erase codes at the TCM.

P0400
your egr valve - probably needs a good cleaning.
Khomer2...Thank you for the info.so the rang sensor is in the shift module... the little cheap Ancel scanner will erase codes, I think I'll just get a used shift module on ebay $100.00. Thanks again, Don.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Khomer2, this is Don again...sorry for the bother, but I'm reading some post that say I have to reprogram a used shift module. I found a parts dealer in Ga. that say if it is 2 wire connection ( which it is ) in is called internal and I don't have to program it. What's your take? Thanks, Don.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Khomer2, this is Don again...sorry for the bother, but I'm reading some post that say I have to reprogram a used shift module. I found a parts dealer in Ga. that say if it is 2 wire connection ( which it is ) in is called internal and I don't have to program it. What's your take? Thanks, Don.
Don,
Im not 100% sure on reprogramming or not on this model for the shift module.
(Our cars are 2002 and older)

Best to post your Q over here - https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c209-a209-clk-class.27/

That being said, if its just that part you are replacing, (assuming it is that component in the shift module), before you do that, perhaps try spraying in electrical contact cleaner in there....allow it to dry, scan and check the codes, and erase and check again. (sorry for the run-on sentence here).

Keep us posted

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don,
Im not 100% sure on reprogramming or not on this model for the shift module.
(Our cars are 2002 and older)

Best to post your Q over here - https://www.benzworld.org/forums/c209-a209-clk-class.27/

That being said, if its just that part you are replacing, (assuming it is that component in the shift module), before you do that, perhaps try spraying in electrical contact cleaner in there....allow it to dry, scan and check the codes, and erase and check again. (sorry for the run-on sentence here).

Keep us posted
Khomer2, thanks for the fast reply..I have it open, and have sprayed every thing I could see. Can't see board it is all encapsulated..at this point I have no display of gear position, so I don't know if it would be worth my time to remove and try cleaning..or just get a good used one. I will try to get some info. on the programing. Thank, Don.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Khomer2, hi and hope you are well. I scanned with OBD2 and it found two codes P0705 ( rang sensor A circuit ) and P0400 ( EGR ) bought a used shift module erased codes and it worked great for a week. Went to our Daughters for Thanksgiving went to move the car for company..and guess what now no gear display P------S and the gear selector light by shift stick shows park only. I can go from P to D back to N and then hit break and back to park. I've tried trany reset but still in limp. They talk about EGR causing limp, but motor runs to good ( like a bat outta hell ) and the trany works perfect..no slip, no hard shifting perfect. I'm about an hour from my Daughter's house and one day next week I will scan it again to see what kind of codes come up. I think the shift module I bought went bad on me cause for a week it worked all the time every time. So if that's not it what is next TCM, conductor plate? Thank you Khomer2 you are the only reply I have had with good info. The best to you and yours..Don.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Khomer2, hi and hope you are well. I scanned with OBD2 and it found two codes P0705 ( rang sensor A circuit ) and P0400 ( EGR ) bought a used shift module erased codes and it worked great for a week. Went to our Daughters for Thanksgiving went to move the car for company..and guess what now no gear display P------S and the gear selector light by shift stick shows park only. I can go from P to D back to N and then hit break and back to park. I've tried trany reset but still in limp. They talk about EGR causing limp, but motor runs to good ( like a bat outta hell ) and the trany works perfect..no slip, no hard shifting perfect. I'm about an hour from my Daughter's house and one day next week I will scan it again to see what kind of codes come up. I think the shift module I bought went bad on me cause for a week it worked all the time every time. So if that's not it what is next TCM, conductor plate? Thank you Khomer2 you are the only reply I have had with good info. The best to you and yours..Don.
When you put the replacement shift module back in you did do a thorough electronic cleaning of the connectors etc., yes?
If not, clean, let it dry, scan for any codes, post them here and erase the codes.
Its possible you got a bummed out replacement.
I would avoid the TCM... at this moment.

p0400 - that code still there? that's the egr - what's the mileage on this?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,473 Posts
It is hard to follow each step on this page, but I noticed "13 pin connector is clear of fluid "
If that's what you understand as Pilot Bushing, that on 5G should be first thing to replace when ANY problems start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Khomer2, got one coming, it's not a high dollar one, but says it does motor and trany codes. This is a nice car and my Wife is wanting to drive it..so I got to get it going. I will post codes soon...Thanks, Don Akers.
Don Akers3:32 PM (8 hours ago)
Khomer2, I have not dropped pan or changed trany fluid. CLK230 has about 185,00...fluid looks good and clean, the owner before kept it maintained well. I don't see any trany oil change in her records. I checked it in Aug. and it was about a half quart low, I put it in and looks like it might be a little over filled. It runs good though..I will warm it up and check again today. Thank you so much for your time my friend, Don Akers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts