Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1997 e200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 e200 wont rev over 4500 revs ,very gutless on takeoff...Lately ive felt a few vibrations coming up the automatic gear stick...Also a few strange gear changes...If im havin trans probs ,could it have gone into limp mode...?Are these the symtoms of limp mode..When i rev it when its parked it almost dies before revving up and wont rev ova 4500(like a rev limiter)..1997 e200 167000 km,Last 6 months new plugs,battery,fuel fliter ,fuel pump,New Maf meter...The list goes on.................

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Certain models have a rev limiter when you are in Park. In limp mode you won't get that high. This happens in Drive also?

·
Registered
1997 e200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its very gutless in drive,almost dies when pulling away but im unsure if it limits revs when driving as i havnt been far.seems very underpowerd,..When in park and give it throttle it almost sounds like its chokin before revving up...strange suckin noise??

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
One of the experts will chime in here eventually (I'm certainly not one of them). Do you have a way to get the error codes read? Somebody is probably going to ask that so I will.

·
Registered
1997 e200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My e200 is a singapore import.(im in New Zealand) My mate cant get any readings because of it being singapore import.The nearest Merc Dealer with software is 5 hours drive away.But more like ten goin turtle speed limping...In Nz its not a good idea to buy sing import .I found that out 2 late..

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
OK, sorry to hear that. I noticed you were in New Zealand but forgot that some cars do not have the necessary port for reading codes. Hopefully the gurus will start replying to you. Good Luck Mate!

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Does the car shift gears? If it is truly in Limp Mode, it will not shift out of 2nd gear when in Drive

·
Registered
1997 e200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well its not in limp then..its still drivin ok...just very gutless.shifting funny,almost dieing on takeoff,and gutless on kickdown but still goin...thx 4 the comment

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Mass Airflow Sensor?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Mass Airflow Sensor?
That sounds like a good possibility to me too but in the 1st post he said he has a new one.

NZMercmn, did you get a genuine Bosch replcement unit or one of those cheap knock-offs commonly found on eBay? I'm asking because a lot of members here have said they are junk.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz ML430 w163,2008 Mercedes Benz CLS550, RIP Mercedes Benz 1996 e320 w210
520 Posts
OK so one of the few problems that could be is that you got a new MAF off of ebay. So if that is true you need a new MAF, but if it not the case then you should try and cleaning it, that might solve the problem? So if MAF is not the problem then it could be your throttle actuator that is the problem? That is just one of the few suggestions... so when you have time try and disconncting MAF sensor and try and start it without the MAF, and tell us how it goes:thumbsup:

PS
Obviously once you disconnect your MAF and try and start your car you will get a MIL, so if you dont wan CEL then dont do it

·
Registered
1997 e200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a aftermarket maf a year ago here in NZ...I thought that was stuffed so got one off ebay cheap from UK store and looks like it may have been a waste of money by the sounds of it....ThX

·
Registered
1997 e200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If i start without MAF ,and thats the problem .Will it run better without it ?If thats a way to tell and all i get is that cel then i may as well.Can i clear the cel by disconnecting the batt?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I can't answer the first parts of your question, but if the MAF is your problem, and you replace it, then just s few on/off cycles of the car should clear the CEL code.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz ML430 w163,2008 Mercedes Benz CLS550, RIP Mercedes Benz 1996 e320 w210
520 Posts
Ok what you should do is try starting the car without the MAF connected and see if helps your problem? So go and unplug the MAF sensor and see how it goes, when the MAF sensor is not pluged in then ECU(onboard computer) This will put the ECU on a default engine map without external inputs--the MAF sensor . Your cooling fans will probably switch on, and the CEL will of course light up. Then give us an update to what has happened if it the same or if it is different start?

PS
Can i clear the cel by disconnecting the batt?
Yes you can!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts