Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S320 SWB, 1997 S420 LWB
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all fellow members....I found the culprit!!! It was the female connector to the ETA. Now who would have thought that??? Its the one that goes all the way to the modules. I traced the wires and found 6 wires cut behind the driver side headlight.:eek: How that happened is a mystery to me. Wondering who would sabotage me in such a hidden place? This shows how opening her up could reveal her inner secrets....take time to study her keenly. If you followed my previous thread http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1502810-help-asr-limp-mode-s320.html you know I replaced my harness, had my eta rebuilt bla bla but still was limping. Anyway my ASR and ABS light are still on but thats because I tested the ASR module and its bad. It was a mere 22 ohms instead of 55-65ohms. I was able to finally relearn my ETA. Thank good ness because I was about to ship it back to bba reman or ask for a refund. This just shows Limp mode may be caused by something else so you need to read the codes she gives ya and track it down before you tow her to the dealer....in the meantime I'm gonna have the module refurbished by bba reman rather than buy a new($2500) or used one off ebay. Happy Benzing....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1995 S320 SWB, 1997 S420 LWB
192 Posts
UPDATE!!!

Hey all,

Just an update for ASR limp mode informational purposes. After having ASR ABS lights on for months WITHOUT limp mode and trying everything else, I finally obtained a used ASR module through car-part.com. This website is the best website in searching for used parts from junkyards. I have been looking for this module for a year before i discovered this website. Dealer price $1,500.
I got it from a junkyard in Texas. ASR modules are very hard to find because they are specific for not just year but also model. So a '95 S320 and a 95 420 will have different ASR modules.
Anyway, after plugging it in and erasing codes voila no more bugging ASR ABS lights!:elefant::dance: Time for some :baby bottle:

Lessons learned:

1. DON'T EVER EVER DO THE SO CALLED 1,6 PIN JUMP. IT WILL SHORT YOUR MODULE AND YOU MIGHT AS WELL BUY ANOTHER ONE. I can't emphasize this enough!!! When I did the jump it didn't get me out of limp mode. Stop trying to take shortcuts and fix the actual problem. When you short it, it will no longer be able to communicate with other modules through the CAN and you will get code 30. Trust me on that one, I learned the hard way. I spoke with a tech and he told me Mercedes modules are very resilient. The car will usually age and break down before the computer. I believe it.

2. Limp mode could be caused by a bad adjustment of the throttle linkage especially if you were in there trying to get it out you might have moved it. Follow the step by step instructions in ALLDATA to adjust your linkage. Make sure when your press the pedal all the way in that the throttle is at the full stop. When I adjusted mine limp mode went away!

3. A bad shorting ETA could ruin your module. Get it fixed right away. I was about to send back mine to BBA reman thinking they didn't fix it properly but my problem was the adjustment. This is a drive by wire and as soon as the computer senses two different signals from the pedal and potentiometer it will throw you into limp mode.

4. Trust the German engineers who made your car and don't ever put any aftermarket parts in your Mercedes.

5. Read codes and go step by step diagnosing it before you run to the dealer. I went there and they didn't tell me much. Trust yourself and your ability to fix the problem.

Good luck to all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts