Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ambiente v class
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a V220 year 2000, Drove a few long distance's recently with no prob's, but on a trip today about 130 miles in I started to get a slight engine die when changing gear at approx 45-55 mph, it wasn't bad but as the journey went on it kept happening when I started to lean on the accelerator on inclines.
I got concerned and because we were only 17 miles from our destination we slowed down and kept going I think in limp mode.
About 5 miles out we stopped at a junction and it seemed that the gearbox went into Special limp mode.
I say this because in Neutral the engine would rev fine past 3000rpm but as soon as it went into gear it wouldn't change from 1st up. I managed to get it to the in-laws.
at a crawl.
Now the engine revs OK in Neutral (past 3000rpm), but it will only move in first gear on tick over (Special Limp Mode), as soon as I apply throttle everything cuts out engine dies....
Reverse works but same issue when applying throttle...
Any ideas on what can cause this...

The AA came and noticed a 2 second delay when putting it into gear, so they topped up the gearbox fluid which sorted the delay out, but their code reader wouldn't read much, so we tried disconnecting the negative on the battery to try and reset the the limp mode but with no joy.
Just been relayed home with wife and kids, with no idea on what it could be, so some help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Colin

·
Registered
Vito 108cdi Modified, VNT, , IC, remap, 3" intake & exhaust, 19" wheels, slotted rotors, etc.
259 Posts
G'day Colin,
Step 1, Can you get a code reader on it?
If not, It could be anything from air in your fuel lines to turbo regulator not regulating, to a vacuum leak. It may even be low oil in the engine.
Try and get a reader on it to save you some time and money.
Good luck and let us know how you go.

·
Registered
2000 Ambiente v class
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to get a code reader at the mo but finding it difficult as I need a MB Star mobile diagnostics because mine is a 38 pin connector...

·
Registered
Vito 108cdi Modified, VNT, , IC, remap, 3" intake & exhaust, 19" wheels, slotted rotors, etc.
259 Posts
Some people don’t want to spend any money and it ends up costing them heaps.
(Of course I’m not talking about you!)
Would you consider investing in a multiplexer? I have a C3 that I use but I recently bought a multiplexer as well. (Used but like new for $50) My Vito also has a 38 pin plug. I haven’t used it yet but it’s a good idea as it’s cheap from China. You will also need a laptop with a serial port rs232. I have a dell d630 I bought used for $100 off gumtree that I use with my C3. I will get another HDD and load windows xp (free) and run the multiplexer off it. I’ll let you know how I go but in the meantime remember:
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
Cheers.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ambiente v class
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bro have you tried out this Multiplex yet on your 38pin Vito...??? I'm still struggling with try to read codes here and get someone with a Star...

Colin

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Colin,

I've been real busy with work lately and haven't set up a laptop to run the multiplexer yet.
I'll message you or post as soon as I do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts