Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody explain please, what actually happens when the engine goes into Limp Mode?

I am aware that the power output is limited, and the engine cannot rev much above 3000 RPM, but how is this achieved?

Is it something that happens within the fuel system? and if it is, what??

or

Is it something that happens within the turbo boost system? and if it is, what??

Thank You

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Garrick,
Can't help you with this, but I am watching for the replies, as I would like to know the answer to this also.
I guess you are trying to get around the limp mode function (disable it)
Cheers, Rick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sprinter fix for limp mode

Could somebody explain please, what actually happens when the engine goes into Limp Mode?

I am aware that the power output is limited, and the engine cannot rev much above 3000 RPM, but how is this achieved?

Is it something that happens within the fuel system? and if it is, what??

or

Is it something that happens within the turbo boost system? and if it is, what??

Thank You
Your Sprinter has a broken boost controller wire in the loom under the radiator behind the bumper.
Remove the bumper to expose the loom and inspect the loom under the air conditioner condensor. The condensor rubs through the loom at its mounting points, this breaks the control wire and the horn wire.
The reason your car does not code is that the computer thinks the boost controller is working, it is still sending a signal but the signal does not always make it to the controller thus no vacum is applied to the turbo actuator and no boost develops.
For others reading this reply, if the vehicle is in limp mode the EDC light will activate, if the vehicle has no boost there will be no EDC light if the problem is in the solenoid wiring or in the vacum source to the solenoid as the computer can not see this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
what happens in limp home !

what really happens is that your ecu has a code that has some thing to do with performance ..

it could be poor perfomance .. to high boost etc
it could also be in The ssg (gearbox) ecu codes that are perfomance related

and it could be a mechanical problem such as wesgate axel malfunktion
wich will result in low boost and the car goes in limp home (no edc light will show )

what really happens is that the vacum valve under the air filter will shut of the vacum to the turbo and you get no boost

cheers / jimmy

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2003 Sprinter has a lack of power (seems like the turbo not working), but is driveable if I manually shift it. Does not have it's normal get up & go, but as I said is driveable. Is this what you have experienced too ? I will check the loom as suggested above. Is the bumper an exercise in frustration to remove ?
Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also experienced what I thought was Limp mode. No power suddenly and inability to rev above 2500. Pull over, turn off and restart and away we go...for a while. Turns out that it was the engine running without any boost. The temperature sensor leading into the turbo was faulty and there was a crack in the big hose it mounts into. Replaced both and now all is good. This also fixed my inability to start on cold mornings without plugging it in. Two birds, one stone. Hope this helps at least one other Sprinter owner someday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts