Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SE W126 Collector owned, maintained 90k mi
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this was an option for this car and what the option code would be. I would like to get a limited rear for mine. Thanks!

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
The only thing close to a limited slip in a 300 would have been the ASD (not to be confused with ASR) option which was a hydraulically-controlled limited slip. I have not heard of any US spec 300's with this option so it may very well be a European option. French versions had a different ratio but as far as I know they were open differentials.

·
Registered
1990 W126 300SE - High Mileage Award
995 Posts
I've been wondering about this myself - my 1990 behaves like it does have an LSD installed. It's not in the option codes for my car, but there is far less slip that on any other MB or other open-diff RWD cars I've driven. Who knows. Regardless, I can also say for sure that this only makes a difference in sand or snow. In any road driving, even aggressive driving in the rain, you won't notice at all if you have a good set of tires keeping slip down. The M102 just doesn't have enough torque to make a huge difference in a car this heavy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts