Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 600 SL (LPG), 94 Subaru Impreza,02 Maserati 4200GT,97 Suzuki TL1000Sv, 02 Yamaha Fazer 1000
562 Posts
600 dollars for new wheels, and you wouldn't spend 12 dollars on the correct tool for removing your hard top.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,728 Posts
The wheels do look cheap and do nothing to enhance the look of the vehicle.

A word of warning, I saw a report on cheap after market wheels and replica wheels, and most of these originate from China or the far east.
The metal alloys used are inferior and in some cases dangerous because they are so brittle and can shatter very easily.

If there was only $600 available, why not buy some genuine branded second hand wheels from eBay?

I paid £350 or $675 for an almost brand new set of SL500 R230 wheels with almost new tyres from eBay.

Fellow member Max has exactly the same wheels fitted to his SL500 http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1349352-new-member-italy-glad-meet-you-all.html?highlight=r230+wheels
Because they are genuine Mercedes wheels they are well designed and aesthetic.

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,027 Posts
Not even gonna give my 2 cents on those rims. BUT the headlight wipers. There was a thread where i posted how to take them out. Will help the front end look a bit more polished. Also the strip missing under the headlight can be got from your local Dealership for 60 per unpainted. I will have to dig for the P/N

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1338352-removal-darn-headlight-wiper.html?highlight=wiper

If you want the wipers. I would be happy to donate the ones i took of my car to help spruce her up a bit.

·
Registered
2001 SL500 / 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 HO CTD / 2010 Subaru Outback
313 Posts
To quote Isaac's earlier post on this subject "I want some new rims pretty cheap, and i dont wont the boring amg i see on every benz in the world." It looks like both of his wishes came true, so more power to him.

The new rims aren't my style, but then again I like my boring stock AMGs! :)

Stuart

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz SL 500
143 Posts
To quote Isaac's earlier post on this subject "I want some new rims pretty cheap, and i dont wont the boring amg i see on every benz in the world." It looks like both of his wishes came true, so more power to him.

The new rims aren't my style, but then again I like my boring stock AMGs! :)

Stuart
Exactly But every one is right, I lookg like a mercedes in the urban side of oakliff =P, So i returened the rims, and am fixing everything every one pointed out with my 600 dollars, First thing is those god forsaken headlight wipers. thanks for the link btw. The reason every one gets amg btw, is because every other rim hits the brakes, and you have to put 2 spacers , then it rides like shi... I learn from my mistakes.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 Jaguar XJR
346 Posts
I think you will be happy with that course of action "I". Don't take some of the less refined comments to personally..

Matt

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
Exactly But every one is right, I lookg like a mercedes in the urban side of oakliff =P, So i returened the rims, and am fixing ever4ything every one pointed out with my 600 dollars, First thing is those god forakesn headlight wipers. thanks for the link btw. The reason every one gets amg btw, is because every other rim hits the fucking brakes, and you have to put 2 spacers , then it rides like shit. I learn from my mistakes.

Good decision, keep your eye on ebay for some AMG wheels.
I found a new set of Silver Arrow wheels several months ago for a really good price.

·
Registered
1985 380 SL, 2001 SL 500, 2007 E350 Sport, 2008 T & C Ltd
931 Posts
Kudos to you Issac, for listening to opinions and taking positive steps to make your 129 better. Too many times, posters take it personally and get all defensive on us and things go down hill from there.

We're all personally involved with our SLs or we wouldn't be here. We want our rides, and others, to be as nice as possible. As a result, 90% of the posts on something like this are sincere and meant to encourage the owner, not make you feel badly.

Be sure to keep us posted (with pics) on your progress and don't be shy about asking for opinions. Enjoy your ownership.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz SL 500
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Kudos to you Issac, for listening to opinions and taking positive steps to make your 129 better. Too many times, posters take it personally and get all defensive on us and things go down hill from there.

We're all personally involved with our SLs or we wouldn't be here. We want our rides, and others, to be as nice as possible. As a result, 90% of the posts on something like this are sincere and meant to encourage the owner, not make you feel badly.

Be sure to keep us posted (with pics) on your progress and don't be shy about asking for opinions. Enjoy your ownership.
Updated on the front page, Some manual labor fixed alot of my cosmetic problems already, I suppose being 17 and nimble helps a little bit.
Next i need new headlights , but i dont know how much theyll cost.

·
Registered
1985 380 SL, 2001 SL 500, 2007 E350 Sport, 2008 T & C Ltd
931 Posts
... I suppose being 17 and nimble helps a little bit.
Next i need new headlights , but i dont know how much theyll cost.
It helps a LOT. Good start on the cleanup. We'll see if we can get you some help on the headlights. Not sure specifically what you're interested in. Let us know.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
1,351 Posts
I think the original rims are much better. I think that 600 dollars is 600 dollars not well spent :( Sorry, just my take on it

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes Benz C 220
78 Posts
Before you buy the WHOLE light assembly, I know that you can get just the "Glass" part for a lot cheaper. I had a fender bender in my car, and new headlight was like $360... or you could try going to a junk yard for one. Whateer you do, only get a whole light assy as a last resort, ok? Just like me, you probably need you money too, right?

BTW: Those rims: :twak:

·
Registered
N/A
178 Posts
A word of warning, I saw a report on cheap after market wheels and replica wheels, and most of these originate from China or the far east.
The metal alloys used are inferior and in some cases dangerous because they are so brittle and can shatter very easily.
Not so much that they are brittle, but HEAVY! Most of the cheap rims I've come across have weak castings and are heavy enough to make the car's suspension work over-time. Even on a light car, this is a huge problem... makes you feel like you're driving a tank. But on the SL, being a rather heavy car.... it will be even worse.

Unsprung weight - effects your braking, acceleration, gas mileage and overall handling.

Not saying this to be rude, but I dont like the rims and think the car (front end especially) needs cleanup. Rule of thumb should be to research, THEN modify. Most of the time, OEM is better than aftermarket - unless you're spending some coin and buying better than OE.

good luck

ps: I should have an extra pair of us-spec halogen headlamps, PM if interested.

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,027 Posts
Before you buy the WHOLE light assembly, I know that you can get just the "Glass" part for a lot cheaper. I had a fender bender in my car, and new headlight was like $360... or you could try going to a junk yard for one. Whateer you do, only get a whole light assy as a last resort, ok? Just like me, you probably need you money too, right?

BTW: Those rims: :twak:
Here u go CHEAPER!
eBay Motors: == Mercedes 129 SL New Set (2) of OEM Headlight Rims == (item 310018946796 end time Feb-08-08 23:45:15 PST)

These should work on your car.

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes Benz C 220
78 Posts
yeah, that's the one! Except for my car only has the lens... unlike this one, but its what I was talking about, or close enough.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts