Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz SL 500
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update on car

After all the suggestions i returned the rims and started fixing my car up the real way.

I fixed the left headlight and raised the bumper

No more wiper :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I really like them. Can you get centre caps, because I think they would finish them off nicely?

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,174 Posts
I think this is the first time I've participated in a thread like this...

To my eyes those rims are really ugly. Since your goal was to improve the look of your car, I think you should have spent your money on a tow hook cover and a set of fog lamps to fill the holes in the front bumper cover.

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
Im sorry but I agree with Bob. I think those wheels look wrong on your car.
I would have gone with Lorinzer D93 wheels if you were looking for that particular look.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My problem tech is i cant spare 3000 dollars for new rims when i can get all 4 for 600

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Isaac, If your happy with the look, thats all that matters. However, Bob's RIGHT!!! They are a little "FLASHY" for "The older generation" which includes ME!!!!!!!! BUT, remember, YOU ASKED!! I also would save your change and patch up the front end!!!

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 Jaguar XJR
346 Posts
Isacc,

I think it is a matter of what you like, I am sure that there will be some that think those wheels are great, others will not..

Matt

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
it looks like your front tires are on the wrong side ( backwards )
I believe crazy horse is correct, but the picture quality has me squinting and I cant confirm this.
You might want to double check it.

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
Glad you posted the pictures - you have convinced me that the standard MB wheels are great and to save my money in not replacing them !!
By the way, your front covers are inside out...

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
Your tyres! (you spell it tires..)
The tread normally 'points' into the drive - on most tyres anyway.
Your rears are OK..

Or if the tyres you have specifically state that the tread points away from the drive rotation, then your rear covers look wrong...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your tyres! (you spell it tires..)
The tread normally 'points' into the drive - on most tyres anyway.
Your rears are OK..

Or if the tyres you have specifically state that the tread points away from the drive rotation, then your rear covers look wrong...
Could that coud the steering wheel to shake while driving at above 30 mph or 60kph?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,366 Posts
Hi Isaak .
Have you ever tried to walk with the left shoe in the right foot?
Well your car doesn't like it either.
Look at the side wall, if your tires are directional they will have an arrow on them.
I think they are.
They should point to the front of your car.
If not change left, to right side till they do.
About the Rims?
I am a little to old for them.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
My problem tech is i cant spare 3000 dollars for new rims when i can get all 4 for 600

You don't have to spend $3000 for tires and wheels.
The 16" original wheels look better than those.
For $1200 - $1600 you can get 18" Monoblocks or 5 Stars with new tires.

Your rational about the price reminds me of the saying, "Good isn't Cheap, Cheap isn't Good.

Since you asked

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 Jaguar XJR
346 Posts
can you make a circle around the front covers, I am not familaur with them at all.
The open holes in your airdam (under your front bumber) are missing items. The two outer most holes should contain your foglamps and the third one is a cover that covers up your tow hook in the front..

Matt

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am in agreement with most comments so far, the SL is conservatively elegant for those wheels. But if you like them enjoy your ride and the unique look...

·
Registered
2008 CLS 550 AMG
172 Posts
Not really feeling the wheels....they don't seem to match the prestige of that model. A nice brushed aluminum or machined wheel would be a better choice to achieve a subtle, elegant statement. No disrespect intended but the wheels makes the car look cheap. Possibly cleaning up the rest of the car to match the shine of the chrome wheels could improve the overall look. Repairing the bumper and headlamp assembly and putting some polish on the paint may be enough to pull it all together with the chrome tho.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts