Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
ABCLOSING
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 2009 E350 and would like to replace the stock halogens with HIDs or the next best thing to xenon's. Price is not an option and no I don't want to put xenon's in just the next best thing. Im not to familiar on the subject so any input it appreciated. I am trying to make them look and function as close to Xenons as I can.

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
You might try doing a search.

There were some very involved threads about the xenon lights recently.

·
Registered
E320 CDI 2006, White/Black Sold
75 Posts
I just put 6000k HID kit made by Phillips [the company that provides HID electronics to Bosch and Hella and Bosch and Hella are the companies that make headlights for Benz, BMW, Audi etc].

Anyway, you'll hear people with limited to no knowledge about the projectors, beam pattern and headlight assembly differences or no differences for that matter between the OEM Halogen and Xenon setup say things like " you can't do it, it will never be the same, why would you turn your benz into a civic etc etc" I say don't listen to anyone, go ahead and put a good quality HID kit in and you'll see it'll turn out better than original xenons light output wise just don't go more than 6000k bulbs.

The only difference between your halogen headlight assembly and original xenons is self leveling motors, the projector, beam pattern and light output is all the same, the original bulbs are 5000k, very white but slightly blue when seen from an angle, 6000k is even brighter white with slightly more bluish hint...way more visibility than any halogen.

Your car takes H7 bulbs so get a kit with H7 6000k bulbs, a good quality one should not cost you more than $400, you can install it yourself if you have a laptop that can talk to your ECU so you can change the option in your cars computer from Halogens to Bi-Xenons to avoid the light out message in your instrument cluster. I didn't have this software so I had an MB mechanic do the installation and change the option in the ECU for $120, it took 30 minutes and changed my car from an ancient looking benz to an exotic car of today.....

I wonder why its not standard on this very expensive car....

Anyway my setup installed came out to be $320 and thats Canadian dollars.....you should be able to get the kit cheaper in the US.

Goodluck, a might post some pictures of mine once the weather gets better up here in the North. I'm loving this setup the best and the cheapest mod I've done to my CDI.

·
Registered
ABCLOSING
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put 6000k HID kit made by Phillips [the company that provides HID electronics to Bosch and Hella and Bosch and Hella are the companies that make headlights for Benz, BMW, Audi etc].

Anyway, you'll hear people with limited to no knowledge about the projectors, beam pattern and headlight assembly differences or no differences for that matter between the OEM Halogen and Xenon setup say things like " you can't do it, it will never be the same, why would you turn your benz into a civic etc etc" I say don't listen to anyone, go ahead and put a good quality HID kit in and you'll see it'll turn out better than original xenons light output wise just don't go more than 6000k bulbs.

The only difference between your halogen headlight assembly and original xenons is self leveling motors, the projector, beam pattern and light output is all the same, the original bulbs are 5000k, very white but slightly blue when seen from an angle, 6000k is even brighter white with slightly more bluish hint...way more visibility than any halogen.

Your car takes H7 bulbs so get a kit with H7 6000k bulbs, a good quality one should not cost you more than $400, you can install it yourself if you have a laptop that can talk to your ECU so you can change the option in your cars computer from Halogens to Bi-Xenons to avoid the light out message in your instrument cluster. I didn't have this software so I had an MB mechanic do the installation and change the option in the ECU for $120, it took 30 minutes and changed my car from an ancient looking benz to an exotic car of today.....

Anyway my setup installed came out to be $320 and thats Canadian dollars.....you should be able to get the kit cheaper in the US.

Goodluck, a might post some pictures of mine once the weather gets better up here in the North. I'm loving this setup the best and the cheapest mod I've done to my CDI.
^^^^^^^^My man ,thanks bro.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ok maybe I am in a different payscale or something but a 2009 E350 with <500 miles clocked on the odometer sells off the lot at around $50k+ bone stock correct? To me that is considered high end eventhough its one of the "lower end" E class models. I do not see no way a $50k+ car can be justified to sell with halogen lights. Not one reason at all..lol

Xenons are stock on many of the higher end models like E-63 AMG, as are other convenience options like keyless-go, etc..

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Ok maybe I am in a different payscale or something but a 2009 E350 with <500 miles clocked on the odometer sells off the lot at around $50k+ bone stock correct? To me that is considered high end eventhough its one of the "lower end" E class models. I do not see no way a $50k+ car can be justified to sell with halogen lights. Not one reason at all..lol
I feel you on that. I have a g35 and it came with HID's standard and that was in 2003. But, I do have keyless - go on my 2006 e320 cdi.. Again not standard..

·
Registered
2009 E-class e350 4matic - AMG Sport Package
71 Posts

Where did he/you install ballast? and how do you manage to close cover? Pictures?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts