Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 190e 2.6 150k
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on my lights, nothing goes on at the first setting, but then everything turns on at the second setting. So do I need to replace the switch?

On a second note, today when this problem occured, as I was driving, I saw a CLK 430 Lorinser followed by a CLS 500, [:0].

·
Registered
190E, 993
552 Posts
The first setting (when turned clockwise) is only the running lamps or city lights depending on where you're from (not the headlamps), if you pull the switch out at this time, you'll get front foglamps. The second setting (when turned clockwise) is headlamps and runnning lamps, if you pull the switch out to the first setting, you'll also have front foglamps.

·
Registered
1990 190e 2.6 150k
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know that...what i'm saying is the first setting doesn't turn anything on anymore.

·
Registered
1985 2.3 16v euro
35 Posts
Pull the switch and check for continuity in the first setting, just checkit with an ohmmeter
make sure the switch itself is working in that position

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,733 Posts
Check the fuses, bulbs, and switch.

Most often, you'll find that the fuses (though very difficult to see by the eye), have corroded after so many years of use. When you pull them out, the metal will fall off in your hand. This is a sure sign that you need to do a complete replacement of your fuses, which can be accomplished for < $20 US.

·
Registered
1985 2.3 16v euro
35 Posts
have you checked your relay?? that is the only other thing i can think of.it is probably a double throw relay.
if you look on the side of the relay it will have a small diagram, 85 and 86 are the coil i think
and 30 and 87/87a are the contact points after checking the switch i would check that.

if you need a diagram or anyything i have access to shopkey just let me know. I can print off anything and attach it to a post or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts