Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1990 190e 2.6l Calif. auto 1987 Ford F150 4.9L Calif. man 4OD 4X4 2013 Suzuki C50 Crusier
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 190e 2.6l Calif. w/auto trans.
Is their something unpluged for the lights on the blower, heater,and window switches to not come on. The dash lights and rheostat works. If I put power to the blower light wire at the blower light ( gray/blue ) on circuit 58d and I see the wire gos to term block ( X6 ) on wire dia. the lights ( WILL ) work. Is their a plug on the back of the dash that fell off or I missed when I had the dash out before. I also put in a after market radio. So their is 1 plug that is not going to any thing now that was pluged into the old radio. ( but like I said when putting power to blower light they work and I do not see on dia circuit 58d going to radio. So where is term block X6 . one dia says right side behind dash and I found 1 dia saying in down by trans shifter by window swithes.
I did do a search on this site but did not find what I am looking for . and PLease do not reply I should put in a new battery, or alt. or make sure air is the same in all tires, check the oil level or any other crap like that Please.I will find the problem my self but to speed things up I look for the smart guys here for their help and I am working outside and it will be snowing here soon.

Thank You .

·
Registered
190D
344 Posts
without knowing all details, I'd check if those lights have good +12v and good ground connection
use ohmmeter to see if there is zero resistance between chassis and ground line for the lights - or get a clean ground wire to the lights, if they light up then your ground line is messed up.

good luck.

·
Registered
1990 190e 2.6l Calif. auto 1987 Ford F150 4.9L Calif. man 4OD 4X4 2013 Suzuki C50 Crusier
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well like I said, I put 12v to the gray/blue wire and all the lights came on. so this tells me the brown ground wire is ok. and that all the lights are good. so I think their is a wire unpluged or a problem with the circuit 58d of getting power. I have some wire dia but they are hard to read also the ones I get off the internet are hard to read also. so if the gray/blue wire at the term x6 go to the bulbs then where is the wire or feed from the rheostat on the back of the dash cluster???

·
Registered
1990 190e 2.6 :)
10 Posts
i have the exact same problem, all ligtht on dash work, buh not the heating and window switches, gear selecotr light up, they all work jus not lite up....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are you markpa. did they just stop working or did you or someone do any work in dash or by shifter and then they were not working any more. I should be able to find this problem myself but I am working on this outdoors and it is getting winter here. Also I drive this everyday and If I have the dash out I need to put it back in for the work week. so keep in and out with the dash gets old .

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This weekend I will pull the dash out and look at the rear of the cluster better and see if I over looked any plug and look again to see if a wire fell down anywhere.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
its a simple blown fuse. theres a red fuse in the back of the cluster that controls the lights if i recall theres a thread on it somewhere with pics.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think it's something to do with your aftermarket radio install. You mentioned you have wires NOT connected...I think this is your problem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been looking at wiring dia and it shows a gray/blue wire where all the heater and window switch wires gather at term block at ( X6 ). from the X6 block, one wire gos to the back of the cluster to the rheostat.But it is not showing a fuse. also both of the dash cluster lights and rheostat work ok. I will look on more wire dia before I pull the cluster out this weekend.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I did take some pictures of the back of the cluster and I do see a red thing that looks like a cap of some sort.So if this is a fuse under the red cap then it must be standing on end. but the wiring dia shows the wire coming into the cluster to the rheostat and teeing off to the 2 dash cluster lights. I guess I could call the dealer parts and see if they show a fuse and fax a picture of it if it has one their.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I called the dealer and had them fax me a picture of the cluster and it shows a fuse and it is $7 so I ordered it . they could not tell me what it operates. I will get it in next week and then pull the cluster and put it in and see if that fixes it. I will also look and make sure all the pulgs are in and hopefuly did not over look one.I will also look to see if a gray/blue wire in going to the cluster. I did see some wires going to a screw and I will look to see what color they are .

·
Registered
10 Posts
How are you markpa. did they just stop working or did you or someone do any work in dash or by shifter and then they were not working any more. I should be able to find this problem myself but I am working on this outdoors and it is getting winter here. Also I drive this everyday and If I have the dash out I need to put it back in for the work week. so keep in and out with the dash gets old .
nope i just bought the car, and noticed that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I will have a new fuse that gos behind the dash cluster next week and will put it in and see if that fixes the blower, hvac and window switch lites. the wire dia I have does not show a fuse or the wiring inside the cluster. but the dealer shows a fuse their but could not tell me any other info of what it works. If that will not fix it I will trace the blower wire in the car by hand to see where it gos. I have tore thru many dashes thur the last 30+ years fixing burnt and messed up wires, so I hope the fuse does it. The lites will work if I put my (powerprobe) to the blower gray/blue wire,so the ground must be ok and the circuit lost the power.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
check the fuse in the back of the cluster yet? i believe that 88 and up 190s had the fuse my 85 and 87 did not have the fuse, i had a bad rehostat on the 87 when i got it and thedash lights didnt work. the wiring diagram may have been for the older cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
check the fuse in the back of the cluster yet? i believe that 88 and up 190s had the fuse my 85 and 87 did not have the fuse, i had a bad rehostat on the 87 when i got it and thedash lights didnt work. the wiring diagram may have been for the older cars.
His dash lights jus like my work, buh not the climate and shiter/ power window switches....im hoping the fuse wil be the solution...?

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
His dash lights jus like my work, buh not the climate and shiter/ power window switches....im hoping the fuse wil be the solution...?
most likely its the fuse. my car was the same way thats why i keep a few spare of those fuses lying around.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I said it to zpa001, but he didn't think my reply was valid.

So I'll repeat it for you.
Think about it, if it was the "fuse" for the dimmer circuit...lighting for the; 1) cluster; 2) dash switches; 3) blower switch; 4) HVAC; 5) window switches on shifter; 6) window switches on rear door panels; 7) illumination for radio...ALL would be OUT.

If you installed aftermarket radio, most likely power for some of those items got disconnected from the "illumination for radio wire" or something like that, not sure how it's wired back there.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did see your reply Cypress. my wire dia is not showing the radio on the circuit for the hvac and window swithces . it is showing the power feed wire going back to the dash .the ground circuit wire I would say must be complete and going to ground because when I put power with my power probe to the wire that feeds back to the cluster all works. the dealer shows a fusr their on the back of the cluster so I ordered one any way and will put it in when I pull the cluster this coming weekend. I and the parts guy do not know if the fuse powers all of the cluster and hvac lites , but I will find out. the wire for the hvac lites shows it going to the dash cluster and it stops their. No dia of the cluster circuit board and fuse, rheostat and cluster lites. But if all fails I do have the OE radio.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I must add. This gray/blue wire I am powering up for the lights to work is almost by the right side of the dash where the wire dia is showing term block ( X6 ) where about 6 wires come together and showing going back to the cluster so this is why I am going for the fuse first. Yes it would look that they would of had the fuse work all the cluster, rheostat and hvac lites but at this point I am not sure. Maybe the cluster circuit board has a crack on the circuit going to that circuit only and the other part is ok??? I will have a good look when I pull the cluster again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, if anyone has a link for the cluster circuit board for my car that would be nice. It should show what the fuse powers.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts