Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lightning struck near my 2002 ML 320 - within 8 feet - everything works (lights, turn signals, horn, exc.) I insert the key and Every dummy light illuminates when i turn the key nothing, no click no engine trying to start just beep,beep,beep sometimes it will say start error.

Spent the day checking fuses, were going to rent a code reader Monday. I only have one key and the key fob will unlock and lock the MB so I cant check to see if its the key.

We don't have a down payment for another car so I will need to fix this so I can get to work ASAP.

anyone else ran into this problem? We don't think it would be a computer issue the way everything works (Almost)

Thanks for your time,

Rod

Attachments

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
The only thing i can suggest right now is to check that the car battery is ok, could the lightning have caused the battery to fail leaving it with only enough power to illuminate the lights, etc?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,224 Posts
More than likely the EMF pulse from the lightening has messed up something in the DAS and/or the AAM.
I hate to say it, but it really needs to be diagnosed by a dealer seeing as he got the start
error message.
In my state damage like this would be covered under my insurance policy's comprehensive.
I would call the insurance agent and then if covered get it to a dealer.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I am genuinely sorry to hear about your predicament.

On a lighter note: It's ironic that your vehicle was struck by lightning and you yourself is called 'Rod'.

i.e. 'Lightning Rod' :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note using AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
i.e. 'Lightning Rod' :D

Hahaha...

Agh, what a bummer. I would prolly un-plug the pos terminal on the battery and smoke a cig for 30 minues, just chain smoking... say a few prayers and attempt a re-boot.

Hope your 02 ends up okay.

I remember reading some folks had problems after jump starts, with the key left in etc... Wondering if your problem is similar. Position 2 lights up the dash, so maybe your just not getting past that point somehow.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
I cant even here it attempt to crank?

Also, for the love of god man, reset your Service Indicator ;)

I would put it on a trickle charger and attempt to start it. I really think you may be just having battery issues. I have owned mine a long time and dealt with battery issues. I have had that error and no crank because I had no juice before.

Give roadside a call, at the least they can trickle charge you and see if it turns over. It's free, it will help you further troubleshoot and if it is the battery they can hook you up to.

When was the last time you had the battery replaced? 100k and 14k down on your service ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant even here it attempt to crank?

Also, for the love of god man, reset your Service Indicator ;)

I would put it on a trickle charger and attempt to start it. I really think you may be just having battery issues. I have owned mine a long time and dealt with battery issues. I have had that error and no crank because I had no juice before.

Give roadside a call, at the least they can trickle charge you and see if it turns over. It's free, it will help you further troubleshoot and if it is the battery they can hook you up to.

When was the last time you had the battery replaced? 100k and 14k down on your service ;)
We just bought it and have no idea how to reset the service indicator. the used car Warranty just expired and insurance adjusters are Morons!
I will call Roadside and see!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,406 Posts
If the problem, as Noodles suggests, is with your DAS you could try turning your key to position 1 for 40 seconds before you attempt starting the car. That's the procedure after re-installing the DAS.

The lightning strike may have caused your DAS to forget something important. You could also try this after disconnecting/reconnecting your battery.

If this simple measure fails, you're probably looking at a tow to the dealer for a new DAS. If it's fried, as a "Theft-Relevant Part" it can only be installed/delivered at a dealership, with you, your vehicle, identification and proof-of-ownership present. No exceptions. ($182 + labour.)

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz ML55 AMG
22 Posts
Ya Know, I was under the impression that you were going to drag race a Ford Lightening Truck. I wanted to see the results. Bummer

·
Registered
2002, W163 ML320
4 Posts
Lightning Strike

Hi, suggest that you get any half decent auto electrictian to do a fault code reset (costs around £30) as it looks like you have a system error not a mechanical issue.

To re3set your service indicator try the following:-
This is one procedure:

(1) turn ignition key to position 2
(2) press reset button twice within 4 seconds
(3) turn ignition back to pos 1
(4) press and hold the reset button
(5) turn ignition to pos 2
(6) keep pressing the reset button until buzzer sounds and new miles display appears
Good Luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts