Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went through this with Hi Fi one of our new members,he had trouble finding the correct bulb at his local auto parts store.Some members are under the impression that they need to get most bulbs from the dealer--not so---
halogen head light bulbs,turn signals,license plate bulbs,dome lights,brake lights and more can be purchased at your local chain store if you have the proper numbers.I.E. the manual lists a brake light as 21/4w off you go to the dealer,nope,pick up a 7506LL from schucks/kraggens/autozone and you are up a few bucks and the outrageous charge to install that the dealer charges(in some cases I have heard $100:eek:)
For the numbers you can go to
OSRAM SYLVANIA - Replacement Guide - Start
punch in the model and year and type of head light set up and it will give you most of the common bulbs.Dash cluster might be a dealer item but I bet if you have the number someone will know where to find it.
If you want brighter head lights and have halogens
go to Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
he also has all the other bulbs including tail directional bulbs that look clear until the signal goes on,then they blink yellow.This is to avoid that yellow look that is present in the tail lights.DS lighting also has a list of the bulbs for all the lights,plus great teck papers on how to improve you lighting,and what to avoid.
Hi Fi got the correct bulb after two days of trying at his auto store.:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
ohlord, are the 65w ones ok to use without causing any damage? or just stick to the 55w ones?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
As ohlord notes, you don't have to go to the dealer to get the bulbs...but you may have to visit a specialty shop or order them on line. I have the three big chains all around me (Pep Boys, Autozone and Schuck/Kragen/Checker) and NONE of them carry the 150-degree-pin bulbs (such as the brake light and the City light). Even an import parts store did not have the H6Ws (those clowns actually suggested I buy a 180-degree-pin bulb and file off one of the pins!!)

As I've noted before, since I found this both frustrating and infuriating, I placed an order with autohausaz.com for at least one of every bulb on the exterior of the car, doubling or tripling up on the more common and critical bulbs (H7 in particular). Much cheaper than the dealer or the big three and that way I always have one ready. Came in really handy when I lost a low beam after a fueling stop at 3 AM in the middle of nowhere, CA. Much safer than driving around with a headlight out, too. Buy a set of bulbs, grab a filter or two and you're over the $50 mark so you get them shipped for free as well.

Take care and enjoy the well-lit ride,
Greg

·
Registered
99 E-430 w/mods 98 E-320
201 Posts
ohlord, are the 65w ones ok to use without causing any damage? or just stick to the 55w ones?
I followed ohlords advice...H9's (65w) and cleaned the lenses...huge NOTICABLE difference!! I also changed out the back up lights. Daniel Stern has a great article on how to rewire the side marker lights for better visability..Ohlord knows his stuff or he stayed at a holiday inn express!!!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great

those h7 bulbs with the h9 burners really make a difference with the newly cleared and polished lenses.
No pimpy blue light,just more usable range which is what every safe driver should be seeking.
:bowdown:eek:hlord
I don't remember how long i have been a customer of danielsternlighting but I am always still amazed at the depth of knowledge he has about something that seems so simple on the surface and is really a technological wonder when you dig into the theory of lighting design :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes E320 Sedan 4Matic
332 Posts
on that note, does somebody know what are the lamps for the instrument cluster behind LCD (mileage, temp., clock)? 1998 E320 sedan 4matic, if it makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
on that note, does somebody know what are the lamps for the instrument cluster behind LCD (mileage, temp., clock)? 1998 E320 sedan 4matic, if it makes any difference.
I think all of those are LED. In contrast, the climate control readout is LCD. Are yours completely out or are you only seeing partial numbers? If partial you need to read the couple of pixel fix threads in the stickys. Hint: Those are the 1st 5 threads at the top of any of the W210 pages. Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
No, the display is a back lighted dot matrix LCD display - just looks like old LED dots.

The back of the cluster, the actual "bulbs" are held in little green plastic base/sockets- these bases 1/4 turn, then oull out. The bulbs are little bayonent sockets, pull out.

The most common bulb is Osram 2721MF, but retail auto parts store equivalent is Wagner 17035. MB bulb dealer charges $4-$6 each, auto parts store charges like 2 for $2.50 - a electronics parts store charges as low as $.60 per bulb.

Benz dealers like to say "replace the plastic base when you replace the bulb" - but that is straight bullticky for saps.

See other post, but don't get confused by some of the posts:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1562343-multifunction-display-dead-blank-black.html

If a area has gone dark, or disappeared except very faint at night - then it's a bulb replacement. If its a bulb, best to replace more or all to keep illumination even.

Missing pixels are like missing dots - a whole another issue, and a issue on this forum portrayed as a DIY, but my opinion not really for the average DIY guy.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes E320 Sedan 4Matic
332 Posts
Mine is totally out. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out! How many bulbs are there? Is there a LED plug-and-play equivalent?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
LED aren't good this application since was designed for incandescent "rice" bulbs with sockets, scroll down in the link I posted and you will see the back of the average cluster.

Normally about 9 or 10 "brownies" total but your center section is lit with like 2. 2721MF with base, 2721 or 2721 LL without base.

CEC is a China maker, and it includes replacement China base for like $13 for (10) pcs with base:

Box of 10 #2721MF Lamp Auto Bulb Automotive Lightbulb - eBay (item 130420950465 end time Feb-10-11 07:36:26 PST)

CEC bulb 10 pack without base $8:

Box of 10 #2721 Lamp Auto Bulb Automotive Lightbulb NEW on eBay!

Do NOT have the key in the ignition when you remove the cluster, see other posts on how to get that doen but the key can be killed if it's in the ignition when you pull the cluster due to electronic security stuff.

Keep the faith !

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
9,916 Posts
Just went through this with Hi Fi one of our new members,he had trouble finding the correct bulb at his local auto parts store.Some members are under the impression that they need to get most bulbs from the dealer--not so---
halogen head light bulbs,turn signals,license plate bulbs,dome lights,brake lights and more can be purchased at your local chain store if you have the proper numbers.I.E. the manual lists a brake light as 21/4w off you go to the dealer,nope,pick up a 7506LL from schucks/kraggens/autozone and you are up a few bucks and the outrageous charge to install that the dealer charges(in some cases I have heard $100:eek:)
For the numbers you can go to
OSRAM SYLVANIA - Replacement Guide - Start

Hi Fi got the correct bulb after two days of trying at his auto store.:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:
Tha above osram-sylvania link no longer works. I found the replacement guide at this link:

Lamp Replacement Guide Home

Not being "into" lighting, which head light assemble should I choose for a standard 1998 E320W? Options are w/Composite or w/HID H/L.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Tha above osram-sylvania link no longer works. I found the replacement guide at this link:

Lamp Replacement Guide Home

Not being "into" lighting, which head light assemble should I choose for a standard 1998 E320W? Options are w/Composite or w/HID H/L.
You should choose whatever your car has. ;)

If your car is a standard/base E320, you will have four H7 bulbs in the front, 2 hi beams (the larger bulb in the inner round light units) and 2 low beams. HIDs only came with options/option packs.

If you want more light, buy the rally bulbs from Daniel Stern Lighting which are 65W H9 bulbs on the H7 base. They're plug and play and they do make a meaningful difference. Technically they are illegal for street use in the US, but I've never known anyone who was stopped for something like that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1986 190E 16V Cosworth stuipdly SOLD 1999 E300 (daily driver)
232 Posts
I just ordered some Osram Night Breaker Plus

NIGHT BREAKER PLUS have up to 50% more lifetime compared to the first generation of NIGHT BREAKER headlamps. This was achieved by a new filament design and an optimized share of prime gas filling. And on top, the high quality, gold plated contacts (H4, H7) provide superior conductivity.

shine up to 90% more light on the street*
have an up to 35 m longer beam*
put out up to 10% whiter light*

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
9,916 Posts
You should choose whatever your car has. ;)

If your car is a standard/base E320, you will have four H7 bulbs in the front, 2 hi beams (the larger bulb in the inner round light units) and 2 low beams. HIDs only came with options/option packs.
So w/Composite must be it! Anyway, headlight bulbs I have.

It's those other ones that I need to stock up on. Have had several bulb out warnings recently and bulbs have been burned (Brake light and Daytime running light). But also having intermittent abs/bas/asr warnings come on. Maybe different issue, but maybe not - possible voltage spikes from alternator? I have an abs pump module (used) on order and have already changed brake light switch and relays. If pump doesn't do it, maybe re-check alternator regulation? (Had it done twice at Advance Auto but ...)

·
Registered
1975 Mercedes 450 SLC coupe, 1992 Mercedes 300SE,1994 Mercedes 320e cabriolet, 2008 Mercedes ML CDI
2 Posts
on the e320 I'm getting a dash message - Lamp Default" what does this mean?

chris

·
Registered
1975 Mercedes 450 SLC coupe, 1992 Mercedes 300SE,1994 Mercedes 320e cabriolet, 2008 Mercedes ML CDI
2 Posts
I wiil check them all thx

chris

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I wiil check them all thx

chris
Welcome, Chris.

Please take a minute to click user cp and edit details so you can easily add your vehicle and location to your profile; it's often useful information when you're seeking assistance.

Also, please take note of the wealth of information covered in the stickies atop this forum; most questions and issues have been asked and answered...including this one. There is a lamp test in there that will help you isolate the circuit and then hopefully the bulb.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts