Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
analyzing the ml tonight for 2 days. indy changed my rears with the new pad sensors but the dreaded left 3 yellow lights of caution and doom will pop up and glow at random. yes...BL switch changed about 11 mo's ago. more to that later. but just noticed between gas guage symbol and temp guage symbol there is 'VDO' lit up on display. drilled down here and came up with random stuff from '07 and further back. is this short for 'visual dispaly outuput' or did I blow it? digging in manual now. thanks guys.

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just verified pages 70-79 in original manual. no reference or mention of this 'symbol'. just wanting to give our members an easy one to figure out. too many repairs, re-repairs, and angony with a 10+ year old chassis on this forum. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
analyzing the ml tonight for 2 days. indy changed my rears with the new pad sensors but the dreaded left 3 yellow lights of caution and doom will pop up and glow at random. yes...BL switch changed about 11 mo's ago. more to that later. but just noticed between gas guage symbol and temp guage symbol there is 'VDO' lit up on display. drilled down here and came up with random stuff from '07 and further back. is this short for 'visual dispaly outuput' or did I blow it? digging in manual now. thanks guys.
oreif buddy!

You're alive!:D

I did a search for you and found this explanation on Wikipedia:

VDO (Vereinigte DEUTA (Deutsche Tachometerwerke GmbH) OTA (OTA Apparate GmbH)), is a manufacturer of information and cockpit systems, navigation, telematics, communication and audio systems, and control and fuel systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDO_(company)

ps.

I don't know why it's suddenly lit up on display now though - Maybe they're trying to repossess their speedometer and your truck?:eek:

·
Registered
2007 ML 500, 2008 ML 550, 2011 ML 63 AMG
363 Posts
.... but just noticed between gas guage symbol and temp guage symbol there is 'VDO' lit up on display. ......
I went around in circles on exactly that same problem for quite some time, finally when I had it in at my indy mech. getting routine service work done I left it with him to drive home, etc., for a few days to diagnose a mystery whining sound on deceleration.

When I got it back he remarked "Oh and by the way, I pulled the instrument cluster and put that loose bulbs back into it's socket, that light fading on & off was making me crazy!".

It turns out one of the instrument lights had popped loose and was dangling by the wires, when the truck moved just the right way it swung over and lit up a spot on the instrument cluster.

DOH!

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I went around in circles on exactly that same problem for quite some time, finally when I had it in at my indy mech. getting routine service work done I left it with him to drive home, etc., for a few days to diagnose a mystery whining sound on deceleration.

When I got it back he remarked "Oh and by the way, I pulled the instrument cluster and put that loose bulbs back into it's socket, that light fading on & off was making me crazy!".

It turns out one of the instrument lights had popped loose and was dangling by the wires, when the truck moved just the right way it swung over and lit up a spot on the instrument cluster.

DOH!
Very interesting story Da Murf!:D

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
To the OP, sounds like someone was already behind the cluster on somme light bulb issue and time to recheck.

On the erro lights; this can be a failing brake light switch (was the 121 month old a MB part replacement?) and/or can be one of the few signs of a battery headed for near term failure. Low voltage from the last usable legs of a near term failing battery can cause similar gremlins.

Yes - VDO is the instrument maker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts