Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GLK 350
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious............... why is the bezel surrounding the light switch not illuminated at night to show the different available lighting selections???????

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
just curious............... why is the bezel surrounding the light switch not illuminated at night to show the different available lighting selections???????
The next question along this line is:
Are the European switches lighted?

When I replaced the light switch on my W203 with the European market part, I found it had back lighted symbols on the bezel.
Just to see what was different I disassembled the DOT certified version of the switch I now had as a spare and found that it was exactly the same in configuration and the circuit boards were identical EXCEPT that the USA/DOT version was missing the LED lights and load resistors on the circuit board.

If the European headlight switch is lighted on the X204 than it would be a simple but expensive proposition to replace the USA/DOT version with a European part.

·
Registered
Cayenne,GLK350,X5,SLK350,SRX,A6
18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 GLK 220CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4M
169 Posts
Thanks Glkka2H:thumbsup: I would prefer this 2011's light switch. 2010's push and pull fog lights is not intuitive.
Agreed!

Whether the light switch bezel is lighted or not on the 2011 GLK I just don't know, maybe any of the 2011 owners would be kind to enlighten us?

However would I not be surprised if the "enhanced" switch arrangement is still not lighted. And in one way can I live with it, now adopted to observe the Instrument Cluster for relevant indicator lamps vs. exterior light being used. To me it feels safer to move my eyes from the road to the cluster (only), than down to the exterior lamp switch, regardless if it is lighted or not. :bowdown:

·
Registered
2010 GLK350, 2003 C230, 2018 E43 1972 250C Coupe
97 Posts
I have a little different problem in getting the lights working right.

1. Maryland requires that when the windshield wipers are running, the lights must be on. The daytime running lights takes care of that problem.

2. I work on a US government facility, and I have to drive through a guard checkpoint every morning. Since it is dark in the morning, I have to turn down the headlights so as not to blind the guards. But, if I get the switch in the wrong position, then the GLK goes completely dark. That spooks the guards even more. Setting the daytime running lights on with the command center seems to keep the headlights on all the time. If I turn off the daytime running lights, This gives a problem with #1. I'm still trying to get all the switches worked out so I can enter the gate area with the interior lights on, and just the outside "parking lights" on.

·
Registered
2011 GLK 350
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: 2011 GLK 350 4matic (Canadian model) Not only is the light bezel not illuminated but the fog lamp button (to the left) is also not illuminated. Lots of fumbling around in the dark to activate.

·
Registered
2011 GLK 350
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

1. Maryland requires that when the windshield wipers are running, the lights must be on. The daytime running lights takes care of that problem.

2. I work on a US government facility, and I have to drive through a guard checkpoint every morning. Since it is dark in the morning, I have to turn down the headlights so as not to blind the guards. But, if I get the switch in the wrong position, then the GLK goes completely dark. That spooks the guards even more. Setting the daytime running lights on with the command center seems to keep the headlights on all the time. If I turn off the daytime running lights, This gives a problem with #1. I'm still trying to get all the switches worked out so I can enter the gate area with the interior lights on, and just the outside "parking lights" on.
If you are "blinding the guards" with the glk lighting (adjusted properly) then they must be only 3' tall or lying on the road. Check out your light pattern.

·
Registered
2010 GLK 220CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4M
169 Posts

Would switching daytime running lamp mode off by the "Instrument cluster submenu" be an option? Note the GLK Operator's Manual: http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/2010_glk.pdf,
page 122.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year :)

·
Registered
2010 GLK350, 2003 C230, 2018 E43 1972 250C Coupe
97 Posts
I could, but then I would have to remember to turn the headlamps on when the wipers are running. Then, turn them off when they are off.

As far as blinding the guards, I don't want to give them any excuse to do an extra special search when I arrive in the morning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts