Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While driving at night today my instrument cluster light went out out of a sudden, first it flashed then completely went out and my check bulb yellow light came on.
I also noticed my all other interior lights, fog lamps, right parking lamps (front and rear) and license plate lights no longer work. The top reading lamp and door lamps however work fine. I checked fuses 3 and 4 and they are all fine. Pulling fuse 5 makes a beeping sound I assume it is the electrical lamp control unit.
Where should I check next? Could it be a bad ground problem somewhere?
Sucks because I have to leave early in the morning and come home late in the evening.
Thanks for any help and quick checks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well this morning the lights work again without any problem. Although on the highway for a short time the dash light went out again and came right back on. I assume it is a ground fault somewhere. Anybody knows some common areas where this might occur?

·
W124 Moderator
12,583 Posts
When time permits, try pulling the instrument cluster and check the fuse on the back side. Appears to me that it may need replacing or the contact areas need cleaning. It isn't a big deal to pull the cluster. Go to HomeDepot and get yourself two of the free metal paint can openers. Remove the speedo cable from it's clip under the pedals to gain some slack. Move your steering wheel all the way out. The cluster is a press fit. Place the can openers in the approx 10 - 2 / 9 - 3 position on the cluster and work it forward.

Good Luck,

Jayare

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jayare - Those things are paint can openers? I've never seen paint can openers that look that way - where did you get them? I may have to use something like what you got because the traditional wire coat hanger wire is not working for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
the bulb on the instrument cluster doesn't affect exterior lighting (at least didn't for me) this is really some rotten ground cable... but to this extent? Are you sure the fuses are alright?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I figured out that my light problem is occuring by turning on the fog lights. As soon as I turn them on the instrument cluster dims for a short time then comes back.
Anyone experience this before? I assume it is a ground problem?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
When time permits, try pulling the instrument cluster and check the fuse on the back side. Appears to me that it may need replacing or the contact areas need cleaning. It isn't a big deal to pull the cluster. Go to HomeDepot and get yourself two of the free metal paint can openers. Remove the speedo cable from it's clip under the pedals to gain some slack. Move your steering wheel all the way out. The cluster is a press fit. Place the can openers in the approx 10 - 2 / 9 - 3 position on the cluster and work it forward.

Good Luck,

Jayare
Jayare, just curious... but is there a reason why you have a black swatch of electrical tape over the SRS warning light?

·
W124 Moderator
12,583 Posts
The SRS light stays on most of the time. I haven't been able to figure why it's always triggered. Mcbear said there was a odd problem with this and thus far no solution found other than the tape. In all other respects, the car performs as it should. I'll soon be replacing the wiring harness and ETA so we'll see if that has any bearing on the SRS light.

Thanks for asking

Jayare

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The SRS light stays on most of the time. I haven't been able to figure why it's always triggered. Mcbear said there was a odd problem with this and thus far no solution found other than the tape. In all other respects, the car performs as it should. I'll soon be replacing the wiring harness and ETA so we'll see if that has any bearing on the SRS light.

Thanks for asking

Jayare
Jim

What's the condition of your airbag?

My light went on years ago...it was the airbag...decided not to replace it so had the dealer deactivate it and pulled the lamp from the indicator...

ED

·
W124 Moderator
12,583 Posts
I don't know the condition of the air bag Ed. I recently up-graded the steering wheel in my coupe to the 93-95 model type. No lights there. I may try swapping the bags and see if it makes the light go out.

I'll report back on another thread as we've all pretty much hijacked this one.

Jayare

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
don't mean to be rude, but please don't hijack my thread to discuss airbag light. I'm still trying to get help what and where my Ground fault could be. Like I said it seems to happen when I turn on my fog lights (pull out the light switch)
The fuses are fine and so are the fuse connections I checked. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
don't mean to be rude, but please don't hijack my thread to discuss airbag light. I'm still trying to get help what and where my Ground fault could be. Like I said it seems to happen when I turn on my fog lights (pull out the light switch)
The fuses are fine and so are the fuse connections I checked. Thanks.
Assuming you've checked the dimming rheostat out and if the fuses are fine and it only happens when you turn on the fogs, then logically the problem is in the fog light circuit.

Is it just the dash lights or all else as described in your opening post ?

Unplug the fogs one at a time and see what happens.
If you still get the dimming then go to the switch.
Dimming is caused by a current draw that is obviously originating in the subject circuit.
If the other lights as originally described are going out also, then possible a short in the switch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Speedometer Cable and Instrument Cluster

I need to replace the bulbs in the instrument cluster of my 1993 300D 2.5 Turbo. Thanks for suggesting the paint can openers to remove it from the dashboard. I was reading in the service manual that it is necessary to disconnect the speedometer shaft from the transmission even if only sliding the instrument cluster part way to remove the bulbs. The manual makes it sound as if the car will spontaneously combust if the shaft is not disconnected.

Do I really need to disconnect it?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I need to replace the bulbs in the instrument cluster of my 1993 300D 2.5 Turbo. Thanks for suggesting the paint can openers to remove it from the dashboard. I was reading in the service manual that it is necessary to disconnect the speedometer shaft from the transmission even if only sliding the instrument cluster part way to remove the bulbs. The manual makes it sound as if the car will spontaneously combust if the shaft is not disconnected.

When I removed my instrument cluster, I just loosened the speedometer cable in the driver floorboard. I think others on this forum have suggested this too.

Matt

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's so tight that you have to have a few inches of slack to get your hand in to loosen it from the speedometer. Most mechanics will reroute it (somehow?) so that the next time it is easier. I made the effort to remove mine and it was easy to get to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
oldbeaver
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing