Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what holds the trim on the roof,Dieter has always had the trim lifting about 1/8 inch on both sides,any one have a pic of of the clip that holds it down? car was painted at some point, by PO ,think that's when the problem started?

Attachments

·
Registered
W124
6,373 Posts
Jon, these strips have to come off for a windshield replacement and yes, for paintwork. They come off simply by pulling them up slightly at one end and working the whole thing off slowly and methodically as you work down the entire length raising it little by little (don't want to bend it right?)

IIRC most of the clips for the windshield trim and the roof are held in by aluminum rivets that come out in seconds with a drill. Order up new ones and replace them one weekend and you will get that tight, flat to the roof, look they once had. If you find one or two are only the loose ones, your job just got easier. If you have a boneyard nearby, on one of your trips, take your battery powered drill and get yourself "two cars" worth of clips. Don't forget the ones around the base of the windshield that hold the trim that has to be removed when a blower fails I think there are three on each side.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,512 Posts
I had to deal with this when the sedan got a new windshield.

The clips that go alongside the windshield are different than those in the roof channel.

The windshield area retainers are barbed spring clips that are *riveted* to the opening using closed-end rivets. I'm telling you this because of a problem I've run into:

The rivet bodies do not age well. When you remove the roof trim strip it's very likely that the rivet bodies will break. Unfortunately you can't position a rivet gun to reinstall the clips while the windshield is in place. Major bummer.

The roof channel clips OTOH are a delight to deal with. They are two-piece ratcheting affairs that you slide to the desired location and then squeeze with a pliers to cam or wedge them into the channel. The inner piece has a barbed steel insert to grab the roof trim strip.

In my experience it is hard to remove one of those trim strips and then reinstall it as flush as it was originally. I don't know why this is but I haven't been able to get one of my sedan strips to be flush with the roof panel.

I was sure that I had taken some pics of the wedge style retainers but it seems that I neglected to do so.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,918 Posts
..any one have a pic of of the clip that holds it down?
The best way is to buy one or two sets clips from the dealer. It's less than $10 per set (IIRC). One set consist of 2 plastic wedge the holds/grips the metal clip attached to the molding. I replaced some of this clips when I had my 500E roof resprayed properly. I broke some of the plastic clips when I remove the molding. Also, if you are removing the moldings there is a great chance that the rubber strip would break as they become brittle due to age.

When re-installing the moldings start from the back going towards the windshield. I did it the other way starting from the windshield and it didn't align to the end of the grove at the end of the roof. So, I had to do it again.

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,190 Posts

·
Registered
W124 E220
191 Posts
Sorry Guys to Bring this thread from the dead; I am in process of changing the clip for the water deflector as the car going for a re-spray and in my country its better to order the parts first so that they come by the time the body work is done

Now I know the following; The water deflector has the following 3 types of clips

- Roof Clip : 12 nos
- The end clip near the windscreen: 2 nos
- Clips on the A-Pillar: 6 nos

All the three clips are different; now here is the confusion, each of the clip on the roof have 3 different part number which only differ in color

For Eg: The roof Clip 12 nos have the following part numbers
A2016980160 * Main Roof Garnish Clip [ White]
A2016980260 * Main Roof Garnish Clip [Black]

Whats the difference?

The roof clip that towards the End has three different part numbers
A2016980860 * Rear Roof Garnish Clip [ White ]
A2016980960 * Rear Roof Garnish Clip [ Back]
A2016981260 * Rear Roof Garnish Clip

The partfische is not helping

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
611 Posts
Sorry Guys to Bring this thread from the dead; I am in process of changing the clip for the water deflector as the car going for a re-spray and in my country its better to order the parts first so that they come by the time the body work is done

Now I know the following; The water deflector has the following 3 types of clips

- Roof Clip : 12 nos
- The end clip near the windscreen: 2 nos
- Clips on the A-Pillar: 6 nos

All the three clips are different; now here is the confusion, each of the clip on the roof have 3 different part number which only differ in color

For Eg: The roof Clip 12 nos have the following part numbers
A2016980160 * Main Roof Garnish Clip [ White]
A2016980260 * Main Roof Garnish Clip [Black]

Whats the difference?

The roof clip that towards the End has three different part numbers
A2016980860 * Rear Roof Garnish Clip [ White ]
A2016980960 * Rear Roof Garnish Clip [ Back]
A2016981260 * Rear Roof Garnish Clip

The partfische is not helping
You're in luck. I kept notes from when I did this same exact thing, and here's what I ended up buying for the rain rail clips:

• A pillar metal clips: 2029882878, needs 6 / 3 per side. I'd say you're unlikely to need to replace these, although it's likely that the rivets holding them in will fail.
  • Rearmost wedge clip, nearest the back glass: 2016981260, needs 2 total, 1 per side. This looks exactly like the other wedge clips, only it's black.
  • The remaining wedge clips: 2016980660, needs 12 / 6 per side

If the rivets holding the metal clips (again, part number for those is 2029882878) to the inside of the a-pillar break, don't despair. These rivets from Amazon worked just fine. You don't need to take the windshield out to re-rivet these. I have a pretty standard Arrow rivet gun, and had no problem getting the rivets in.

After removal, even though the wedge clips mostly looked fine, when I examined them carefully, most were not. There was usually some tiny little bit of plastic, or even some of the metal part, that had broken. Just order all new replacements and you'll be a lot happier. For that matter, order a couple backups of each.

The trim that spans the width of the windshield, up at the top, is held on with all metal clips that rivet on. Mine disengaged fine without any rivets breaking. I was very gently.

Also: when I reassembled, I put a little dab of grease on the interfaces where the trim goes into each clip. I figured maybe that would help things come apart a little easier if I ever have to take that stuff off again.

·
Registered
W124 E220
191 Posts
Thank Karl

Today I just removed my roof trim, my PO had done a respray and to my horror i could see more than half the clips were not there; So i am ordering the entire set

But the confusion still exits as they had no way for me to tell what color to order

Karl, the rearmost has 3 part numbers, A2016980860 *A2016980960 *A2016981260 *; what made you choose the last one??

The same question applies to the main clips too

I am thinking and going ahead and order black clips through-out

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.