1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
W140-S 320-1995
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

Plz, I need more explain about "Lifter Ticking" Part,

In my W140 there is a sound when the vehicle on D or R. the sound like Tik Tik Tik TikTik Tik...When the car stopped , but the sound disappears when the car is on the P & N and someone told me the problem from "Lifter Ticking".

But I do not know any thing about this part!!!

I am grateful to those who helped me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 S500 (W140)
170 Posts
I kinda have the same problem.

sometimes you hear it sometimes your dont???

its just a single tik tik tik,,,

whats the deal with this??

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
oil guides

·
Registered
1995 s500
148 Posts
before you go and take you vave cover off , put some fuel injection cleaner in your gas and run the car for a little while and see if that the ticking goes away , if not than check to see what side of the ticking is coming from . if it was your oil guides , your oil pressure would be not right when you cranked your car up . see alot of carbon builds up on the valves, over time from gasoline and prevents the valve from working right . i used lucas fuel injection cleaner.

·
Registered
2009 S550 4Matic,1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
474 Posts
What does carbon buildup on the valve have to do with low oil pressure?

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
before you go and take you vave cover off , put some fuel injection cleaner in your gas and run the car for a little while and see if that the ticking goes away , if not than check to see what side of the ticking is coming from . if it was your oil guides , your oil pressure would be not right when you cranked your car up . see alot of carbon builds up on the valves, over time from gasoline and prevents the valve from working right . i used lucas fuel injection cleaner.

That is just false.

A single failed pipe can cause this engine to sound like a diesel. It will have 0 effect on oil pressure. Even if half of them are missing pressure will still be fine

This has nothing to do with fuel.... argh

valve tap noise is rather different and not inherent on the m119

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts
If its the oil guides, the tick will go away in Neutral or Park? Why is that?

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
If its the oil guides, the tick will go away in Neutral or Park? Why is that?
hmmm

because you are saying that it basically is related to gear engagement. mine was ticking regardless of gear.. the pressure change between gear and not is too minimal to make it distinctively audible

are you sure it is going away or just becoming less apparent

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts
hmmm

because you are saying that it basically is related to gear engagement. mine was ticking regardless of gear.. the pressure change between gear and not is too minimal to make it distinctively audible

are you sure it is going away or just becoming less apparent
Sorry, I meant to ask why it will go away when in neutral or park. Someone suggested to OP that it's oil guides but the OP says the sound goes away when in neutral or park. I couldn't understand why or how it will go away if it's the oil guides, so I asked. Sorry for the confusion.

I understand it as you do, that's why I can't understand why oil guides will be gear related. I know the oil pressure will be different, but as you said it will be a small difference and shouldn't go away.

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes-Benz S500
721 Posts
speaking of ticking my car scared the shit out of me once. right before i drove it to my buddys shop after ripping out the entire interior and exterior and all (getting ready to paint) i started it up and the thing made this TERRIBLE ticking (sounded an awful lot like valves). so i left it running for like 2 minutes while i tried to further diagnose the sound. within those two minutes it stopped ticking???? i drive it over and never heard the sound since????? anyone care to explain how or why that would happen? oil pressure was fine, nice summer day, and it wasnt standing for more than 3-4 days???????

i know this is irrelevant to your question but you know since were talking about tickings.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
op has m104, so no oil guide issue like in m119.
sticky lifters would cause ticking at all times, not just in gear engagement. get a mechanic stethoscope and isolate where it's coming from, have a friend press on brakes and hand brake inside the car when putting in D or R and you trying to isolate the noise from the engine. i have a feeling the noise is not coming from the engine, hopefully is not from torque converter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts