Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a C32, but I've heard that the engines don't last that long. Someone told me that because the engine is not normally-aspirated and is supercharged, it probably wouldn't last longer than five years, whether driven hard or normally. (He said that most people who buy C32's would just trade it in after a few years, and so would never run into that problem.) But I want a new car that would last 10-15 years, and I'm choosing between a BMW 330i/Performance Package and the MB C32 (my real dream car).

Anyway, anyone out there have a reasonable estimate as to lifetime of the car, engine and all?

Thanks in advance. [:)]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, that's what I was hoping, but I was told that because of the way the engine is desig...

Oh, that's what I was hoping, but I was told that because of the way the engine is designed (ie not normally aspirated, but supercharged), it's inherently less durable... So you disagree?

Any other opinions out there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
any FI engine is going to have a harder life, but thats why the engineers bolster up the...

any FI engine is going to have a harder life, but thats why the engineers bolster up the block, heads etc to handle the pressures. Look at turbo cars that can last well into the 100's of thousands of miles. Its all in how you maintain your car.

·
Registered
C32
4 Posts
It should last for at least 7-10 yrs with no problem.

In additional to above inhancement, AMG also drops C32's engine compression ratio from 10:1 to 9:1 which is better for the engine too. It will be a joke if MB make car that can't last more than 10 yrs. I still see those hard to maintain 190E 2.3-16 running around. That car is hard to maintain even its NA.
[;)]

·
Registered
C-43 AMG
11 Posts
The cars you are comparing, BMW and C-32 are not even close in price. You should be compa...

The cars you are comparing, BMW and C-32 are not even close in price. You should be comparing the M-3 to the C-32. The 330 is an everyday commuter whereas the C-32 is more of a weekend race car that will do the everyday commute, but why? I think the BMW would last longer as an all the time driven car. You don't need a supercharger to go to safeway but that's not what MB built the c-32 for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: The cars you are comparing, BMW and C-32 are not even close in price. You should be compa

The cars you are comparing, BMW and C-32 are not even close in price. You should be comparing the M-3 to the C-32. The 330 is an everyday commuter whereas the C-32 is more of a weekend race car that will do the everyday commute, but why? I think the BMW would last longer as an all the time driven car. You don't need a supercharger to go to safeway but that's not what MB built the c-32 for.
You have a good point, in that I wouldn't need a C32 to go to Safeway. However, do you really think that MB built the car for the track and heavy racing? From what I've heard, no one thinks the C32 is really a sportscar, but a "sports sedan," however you want to define it. I'm not sure what the intended use is, but if it were really meant for the track, I'd guess there'd be a non-slushbox option...

·
Registered
89 300TE
290 Posts
I dont know where you would get infor like that from, but I dont think Mercedes Benz would even put a car on the road if it was only gonna last 5 years!

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
The 330i performance package does 0-60 in what? 6 seconds or so. IMHO it looks like crap too (my friend has one). The C32 is much faster and it will definitely last you over 5 years. I'd definitley go with the C32.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts