Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450sl, 1986 190e, 97 sl320 40th sold
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the right valve cover off my recently acquired 74 450sl to see the condition of the timing chain. The guides/chain and gears looked good to me and i only had 4 degrees of stretch with the right hand cam marks lined up. I was pretty happy and was gonna wrap it up but decided to remove the left valve cover and inspect for the heck of it. What i found ruined my day !! the chain has been hitting the head on the left bank for some time and wore grooves into it !! Also if you look a ways down on the inside edge of the right bank the chains been hitting there too ! I determined the cause of it is a defective tensioner, you can depress it and it doesn't spring back ! Im not sure what to do at this point im not very familiar with this engine and have no idea if the damage is substantial enough to even use this motor ?? FML !

right bank cam mark

about 4 degrees

right cam gear

chain guide (looks better in person)

Damage on the left bank

Unfortunately i can't get a pic of the damage down on inside edge (towards middle of V) on the right hand bank, where its chewed into the block !

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
I am so glad you pulled both sides. Please order the parts, if the budget allows, and replace them. this confirms what everyone has stated before, time as well as miles is a killer.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,546 Posts
You aren't the first one, and won't be the last. Replace the tensioner, and replace the oil a few times. My 73 has similar damage. Believe I or not... No major harm done. Don't let it get you down. At least you know the tensioner needs replacing now.

I maintain my position that the tensioner is job #1 on these cars. Think about how hard it is on a chain guide with that chain slapping up against them.

I recommend replacing your guides since they could be cracked from the chain slapping.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright i just ordered the parts, fingers crossed i sure hope its gonna be ok ! Cost me $297 shipped for 2 cam sprockets, timing chain, 3 plastic guides, tensioner guide, New tensioner and 2 sets of cam oilers.

On a different note i just took my distributor cap off to discover a odd looking rotor button. Through some research it appears to be a centrifugal rotor. do you have to run one in a 74 450sl or will the standard style do ok?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Alright i just ordered the parts, fingers crossed i sure hope its gonna be ok ! Cost me $297 shipped for 2 cam sprockets, timing chain, 3 plastic guides, tensioner guide, New tensioner and 2 sets of cam oilers.

On a different note i just took my distributor cap off to discover a odd looking rotor button. Through some research it appears to be a centrifugal rotor. do you have to run one in a 74 450sl or will the standard style do ok?
Great price !!! Where did you order the parts and what brands did you get? I spent around $375 delivered from The Classic Center with plugs and without the sprockets. If I need sprockets I'll order them from AutohausAZ for $20 each rather than $450 for the pair from Mercedes.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,324 Posts

Probably ordered the aftermarket tensioner. Who knows how long it will last.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i ordered a febi tensioner, im sure it will be fine. Most of the major vendors carry so it must be decent. it will be better than the "mercedes" one thats in there !!

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,324 Posts
Better than an old worn out tensioner? Certainly. Better than a new MB tensioner? I doubt it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too each his own, I'm fixing this car up for a birthday gift for my mother. As much as id like to put all top dollar stuff in i just can't afford it. Im confident that all new components should last a good while with the 7-8k she puts on a year.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,324 Posts
I am not an MB part only fanatic. Quality parts at lower prices are what I look for. Critical parts from AM vendors that have been described as inferior by others are not worth the chance to me. Then again someone else will be selling my 107s, not me.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
I am not an MB part only fanatic. Quality parts at lower prices are what I look for. Critical parts from AM vendors that have been described as inferior by others are not worth the chance to me. Then again someone else will be selling my 107s, not me.
Ok, I'll sell them for you, I'm sending a truck to pick them up. No problem pal, you can pay me later !! :D

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,324 Posts
Ok, I'll sell them for you, I'm sending a truck to pick them up. No problem pal, you can pay me later !! :D
Over my dead body. After that you all can fight over them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So have you experienced issues with the febi tensioner ? or have there been wide spread issues with them being inferior ? Its the only one autohausaz carries, they seem to be a reputable establishment. If you really think the one i ordered is a pos then i'll cancel it but it would be nice if you substantiated your claims. Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,546 Posts
I think it has been documented somewhere that certain. Versions of the febi tensioner are inferior. I am not sure which versions, but I can tell you that I thought the tensioner I took off my 73 was firmer than the febi in installed, at least until I disassembled it and got all the oil out of it. I think the one I removed was clogged with dirty oil.

I would like to know which versions of the febi are inferior too.

I thought this pertained to later versions but I don't know. Is it the 126 board that talks bad about them? If so, that is totally different than the 74 4.5 engine... Isn't it?

Time for me to start googling.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
So have you experienced issues with the febi tensioner ? or have there been wide spread issues with them being inferior ? Its the only one autohausaz carries, they seem to be a reputable establishment. If you really think the one i ordered is a pos then i'll cancel it but it would be nice if you substantiated your claims. Thanks
Originally, I fully intended to buy my parts from AutohausAZ. I have used them in the past and I was extremely happy with the experience. After spending a lot of time reading and weighing the opinions here versus my extremely limited budget I just felt I couldn't take the risk. If you are a MBCA member you can get a discount on the factory tensioner. In my case I emailed the Classic Center and requested a quote for the part numbers I wanted. The price was within $10 of what I could have bought factory parts for online and only a little more than using AutohausAZ. I expect the factory people to be biased toward their product, but I feel Tom Hanson is an honest guy and he mentioned staying away from Febi by name.
One other point to consider. If you were going to be driving this car and it left you stranded on the side of the road that would be inconvenient. If it leaves your mom stranded that could potentially be far worse. I have no stake in this either way, but it doesn't seem it is a gamble worth taking for $100 or less.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,496 Posts
Keep in mind that this forum has been around for years. You are the one that is new.

This subject HAS been covered before....not that it isn't worth another go around.

Just do a little research on this forum or the Google .

I'm with Rowdie......critical or hard to replace parts I go OEM.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
By the way, unless I missed the answer, the rotor is a centrifugal rev limiter. Pretty rudimentary, but it works. And I guess it's good that it's not another electronic box to have problems with !

1 - 20 of 143 Posts