Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for problems where your license plate bulbs / lamps or just one are good but not turning on. Along with having the license plate warning light on the dash.

One snag you will run in to when diagnosing is that no power will be sent to the plate lamps unless the trunk is closed. I'm sure there is a way around this, i locked the latch and grounded it but that didn't work. Anyways with some of the panels you have to take off to get the lamp sockets out you will have holes to run your test leads through to pin the wire in different areas.

Other than checking fuse. Check for power at the lamp socket. With no power at the lamp move on.

Find the wire your looking for in my case it was the only one twisted together with the power wire to the other socket, check for power on your wire at the Rear SAM

I had power on my wire at the rear sam, so next I probed various spots along the loom and narrowed it down to this 1 foot section of wire. I was lucky enough to see 1 copper strand sticking out of the braid.

After I cut some of the braided loom open I found my wire stretched and broken along with the power wire to my other license plate lamp broken but still touching.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,136 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and extensive diagnosis. Unbelievable that a "quality" car has such a poor wiring problem.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,210 Posts
Thank you, especially for the photo documentation. I will add this to the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia at its next update (which I hope to get to soon).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no problem I will help out as much as I can. I'm surprised no one else has a report of this problem. I guess when they made my loom some of the wires were tangled together causing a length issue that snapped the wire.

·
Registered
2001 S430
148 Posts
Hi Guys

I too have the same problem. My left light does not work and I narrowed down the problem to the braided section.

Of course the major problem seems to be that the trunk lid is kept from opening too far by the loom. I don't understand why they couldn't use the same mechanism as on the E class.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys

I too have the same problem. My left light does not work and I narrowed down the problem to the braided section.

Of course the major problem seems to be that the trunk lid is kept from opening too far by the loom. I don't understand why they couldn't use the same mechanism as on the E class.
I ended up buying the loom because my connections didn't hold up very well over time. Anyways the loom was priced very well at $177 and comes with the tensioner box and every thing.

My part number was 2208203317 , yours could be different depending on options.

·
Registered
2001 S430
148 Posts
Yeah, my part number is the same. However, I live in Australia. Anything relating to cars, let alone Mercedes is a big rip here. It costs $940 from Mercedes. I wasn't going to pay that much for it so I managed to open the textile tape at both ends of the braided loom and stuck a coat hanger thru the loom. Then just ran another wire to replace the one that was broken, cut both ends and soldered the new one in place. Took a bit of playing around with but only cost the price of a new cable, about $5.

·
Registered
06 S500 / 99 C43
165 Posts
In trunk cover for trunk wiring loom

Hello folks - 06 S500 - how do I get the cover off in order to replace the harness? It goes from the trunk lid to the car body but the loom is covered buy some kind of plastic piece. I can take a pic tomorrow but any ideas? Thank you Does it just pry off (scary)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello folks - 06 S500 - how do I get the cover off in order to replace the harness? It goes from the trunk lid to the car body but the loom is covered buy some kind of plastic piece. I can take a pic tomorrow but any ideas? Thank you Does it just pry off (scary)
The new harness comes with the large plastic housing that spring loads the loom, I pretty much destroyed the old one taking it out so I was happy to see the new harness come with what I destroyed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The wires that feed from my license plate lights have been cut where can i go to have this fixed or is it easier to fix it myself, please help.

·
W220 Moderator
2006 S500
1,137 Posts
If they can be reached to cut, they shouldnt be that hard to DIY repair. But if thats is not possible, try a decent stereo installation place. Wiring is their bread and butter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.