Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what size screw or bolt is used to hold the license plate in place, or where to get some?

This would be for a 1986 190e model.

Also, was told when I bought the car that the 1st owner never used the sunroof, and the 2nd onwer (who I bought the vehicle from) tried the sunroof but it didn't work and so doesn't know if it EVER worked or just went bad.

Where do I start? Check a fuse or some wiring or a motor? Thought I read elsewhere that there is a manual way to open the sunroof, something about a lever in the trunk. Where is this located, what does it look like and how do I operate it? There is a string looking cable just sitting in the trunk, kinda like a brake cable or 10-speed gear cable on a 10-speed bike.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well there is a tool in the tool kit that you insert through the plastic liner thats inside the trunk. Its above the left rear tire. The tool inserts into the motor and allows you to close the sun roof if the motor gose out, but it sounds like the cable is bad so you may have to take it to a body shop and get the headliner removed and cable replaced. Unless you want to tackle the job your self.

·
Registered
1985 190E 2.3 (Sold)
210 Posts
For the license plate screws, you could go to an auto parts store or home depot and get a few different size screws. Shouldnt be too much money. Im not sure on sizes, so you could test them out and see what fits.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to AutoZone and Advance Auto and their standard license plate bolts/screws did not fit.

I can't tell if it takes a bolt or a screw, as the threads are fairly deep into the recess made for them, I can't really see down into the holes to see of the threads are course (indicating a screw) or fine (indicating a bolt).

Guess I could just buy one of those assorted nuts, screws, and bolts pack you see at Walmart and try out different stuff.

BTW, how do you like your 85 190e 2.3L ? What is your mileage and how has it held up and what regular maintenance do you perform? Any tips on these older models would be greatly appreciated as I just bought an 86 190e 2.3L and no nothing about MB's.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well that depends on your skill level and the amount of tools you have in you tool box. I would say for the average person its better to get it done correctly the first time. There is also the risk of damaging some of your interior parts by removeing them improperly.

·
Registered
1985 190E 2.3 (Sold)
210 Posts
NewMBOwner - 4/18/2005 12:52 AM

BTW, how do you like your 85 190e 2.3L ? What is your mileage and how has it held up and what regular maintenance do you perform? Any tips on these older models would be greatly appreciated as I just bought an 86 190e 2.3L and no nothing about MB's.
I like my car. [:)]I just wish it had more power like the 16V or 2.6. But thats why im adding performance parts. It has about 130,000 miles on it and its still running strong.

Heres some tips:

1. Inspect your whole car and if you see any problems, then buy the parts you need to fix it, instead of "letting" things go and it could cost you more in the end.

2. If your car has 125,000 miles or so on it, it would be a good idea to replace the timing chain.

3. Do regular maintenance like oil & filter change, transmission fluid & filter change, and the air filter. Also, change the rear differential fluid and maybe the power steering fluid, but you dont have to change them as often as the other maintenances.

4. Check to see if your spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor rotor and cap are in all good shape.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Our 190d suffered from some significant neglect before we bought it. Be sure to check-out all the "preventative maintainance" issues first. Change all of your fluids and filers, and etc. Simple maintainance will save your back-side from high cost repairs soon thereafter.

As for your sunroof- (mine's manual thank god). My mechanic in TX told me that he does the following repairs on all models of benzes:

1. SUNROOF REPAIR- he said risk of this can actually be reduced with cleaning of the rails, cable replacement and lubricating the rails regularly. I'd have a shop tackle it...
2. Power windows and various electrical stuff- he said switches used by MB (especially in the 80's) were junk and wear out quickly, and if not used regularly corrode at their internal contacts.
3. Heating/cooling problems- MB used a Behr plastic to metal radiator that is notorious for developing leaks. It's nearly as bad as the ones Honda used- but being a larger unit lasts slightly longer. I've also discovered that the heater core and heater control valve are also prone to failure (mine needs replacement asap). As an aside, there are a couple lawsuits against MB for people being burned from Heater cores exploding and splashing coolant on feet/legs...
4. A/C- he said he does ALOT of mb a/c repair in TX. He advised conversion to newer refrigerant if ac goes out (mine CAME broken from prev. owner). He also advised replacing o-rings, hoses, etc.
5. Automatic tranny stuff- (mine's standard) and suspension stuff.

Aside form that he said the benz is a solid vehicle if it gets the proper maintainance.

As for the license plate:
I got a $55 ticket 3 weeks after I bought the car for no front plate here in Chicago. (The previous owner kept the old plates-they do that here). When I got my new plates there weren't any screws for the front plate and 3 of the bolts for the rear plate had literally been SNAPPED OFF.

Here's what I did-Went to lowe's and got 1 1/2" #12 machine screws and nuts, got large #12 nylon washers. Got large-head 1" #12 sheet metal screws for the front.

I used my dremel with a cutting wheel to remove the old mounts for the rear plate from the inside of the trunk- (you'll have to drop the plastic liner on the inside of the trunk to get to them.) Then Install the new plate with Nylon washers on the outside to reduce risk of moisture entering the trunk.

Used the large-head sheet metal screws to hold-on the front plate. You might try and see if you need a #12 or #14 to attach the front plate- if the holes are torn-out you will need to increase the screw size to make it fit.

-John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts